'Q' and 'Q-DB' for other radios - NOT AR-DV1 related

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
This is a new thread because it is not directly related to the AR-DV1 or my current program.

The new project I am considering would be to create a program for ANY suitable receiver that would give it unlimited Memories, and the ability to import, transfer, scan, and filter virtually any frequency lists for almost immediate use.

It does strongly revolve around the new 'Q' and 'Q-DB' functions I have developed, however.

Before even seriously considering embarking on such a new project I want and need feedback.

If you have not done so already, go to the web-site and read about 'Q' and 'Q-DB'.

You will need to have some idea of the concept of what these functions can do. Functions hitherto that would have been considered all but impossible.

ardv1

Read the 'Q' and 'Q-DB' pdf documents. You NEED to do this if you want to contribute to this thread.

NOTE these functions may sound impossible, but they are already working in eSPYonARD, as other posts can verify.

THIS IS NOT A PLOY TO GET ANYONE TO USE OR BUY eSPYonARD, and is not AR-DV1 related. eSPYonARD and the AR-DV1 are not involved, the abilities that 'Q' brings to them, ARE.

So here is my idea.

1. A program that does not control the receiver totally, you use the receiver manually as usual. No frequency display etc, no changing functions or anything like that.

2. The program would however add the functions I set out above. Unlimited memories, and the incredibly powerful frequency acquisition and manipulation that 'Q' brings to the AR-DV1.

------------

I want to know how many people are interested in this concept for their radio?

It could take months to bring to fruition, and I am not prepared to do all that work unless there is sufficient interest shown HERE.

I am not promising to do it either.

I need to know which radios it could be adapted for?

There are only two requirements:-

1. The radio must be capable of being used under serial control. Frequencies, modes and scanning have to be possible.

2. The radio MUST be designed so serial control can be turned ON or OFF by an external command.

This is essential, as almost all radios deny normal button / knob access etc, whilst connected to a P.C.

If your scanner/receiver meets those requirements please tell me here.

Although this is an AOR thread, many of you have other makes of radio. Tell me if they meet those criteria and I will look at them too.

If you are really interested in the power of 'Q' being available for your radio, tell me here.

One thing that is noticeable is there are often lots of views on the Forum, and on occasions, very few replies.

If you are interested but cannot be bothered to tell me that, and the details I ask for, I will not bother investing more months of my life in another project either.

Just as the 'Q' functions make the AR-DV1 unique, that could apply to other radios too, but ONLY if I get sufficient interest.

I cannot buy all the radios that could benefit, so I will also need to know of anyone who is prepared to collaborate with me and BETA test software as well.

This is a MAJOR project. Lots of scanner enthusiasts would benefit eventually.

The only receiver that will lose out is the AR-DV1. It will still have the abilities 'Q' brings, but would not have those functions exclusively.

Last few words. I have been working on eSPYonARD solidly since last November.

It will require a LOT of interest being shown here, and active offers of support and testing, for me to even think about setting aside more months of my life. Sorry if that is too blunt, but it is the simple truth, like it or not.

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Emails

I have already received 5 emails about this, via the eSPYonARD website.

So far it definitely looks as if the ARD-8600 has the necessary requirements, and there must be more.

I am looking into some others today.

I just cannot know of every make and model of scanner, AOR or others, that the 'Q' functions could be made available for, so I still need readers to point me in the right directions.

The project is pretty exciting, so it would be great if I could make all the powers of 'Q' work for lots of scanners.

Keep the information rolling in please.

I am continuing to picture the interface in my mind.

At the moment I see it as just a small window on your P.C.

You control the scanner manually.

1. If you find an interesting frequency you click a button.

The program automatically switches serial comms on, and adds the frequency and mode to a 'Q' list, then releases the receiver for normal use.

When you double click on any frequency in the list it appears, with its mode, on the radio.

If you have enough frequencies, you can SCAN them too, via the program.

Very useful for any frequency, but especially for DX-ers surfing for side-band signals.

2. Import almost any frequency list you find, from the WEB or elsewhere, into a 'Q-DB' list. Same as above, instantly selected on the radio, or scanned.

3. Add a filter, or sort the list.

4. Create you own lists in Notepad, very quickly and easily, adding as much descriptive information that you want.

5. In effect, memories only limited in number by the size of your P.C.'s storage, and you can expect to have thousands of them is you wish, all selectable from a menu, and in sub-folders you create, so finding them should be easy too.

-----------------

Should be a pretty seamless set of operations too. The program automatically switching Serial Comms on and off as and when instructions need to be sent, or received.

Cheers

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Recent AOR receivers would be great candidates as they use a similar remote command set and similar bank structure for memories. Receivers such as the AR-8200, AR-5000, AR-Alpha, AR-5001D, etc...,

You could do a full control interface like the AR-DV1 for the AR-2300 and SR-2200.

73 Eric

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thanks Eric,

I will download the command sets for them.

I do not have the time or energy to produce full CAT interfaces for all the suitable receivers, but it looks as if I could produce one program for AOR receivers (if they can handle the simple requirements), especially if they all use the same Sys Lab drivers.

A drop down list from which I could tell the program the wording of the different command codes could well be possible.

In many ways people often do not actually need full CAT control, at least all of the time, and a simple 'Q' program could produce some quite spectacular results I think.

I am still very much involved with eSPYonARD, but the two projects are not mutually exclusive.

When I have time I will write a prototype for my AR8600, and go from there.

At one time, not that long ago, I started to write a version of eSPYonARD for the AR8600, but had no time to finish it.

The new program I am thinking about would do the job for me. I am more than happy to press the buttons on the radio most of the time, but if I had 'Q' available too, that would be great.

Time will tell.

Of course if AOR had the foresight they would beg me to leave 'Q' just for the AR-DV1, lol, but the staff at their customer service end almost certainly do not have a clue what a breakthrough the new functions represent, or perhaps even care.

I still get the impression they see the AR-DV1 solely for Government and Professional use, and if anything find the hobbyist owners just a bit of a nuisance.

The fact 'Q' brings all that extra power to any AR-DV1 user, Commercial, Government or Amateur might just raise a shrug of the shoulders, or a 'so what'.

The AR-DV1's hardware may be 'cutting edge' re digital modes for a little while longer, but ICOM and others will soon put pay to that.

If the 'Q' functions remained solely for the AR-DV1 they could have maintained their edge for much longer.

If I do make 'Q' available for lots of receivers that 'edge' will have gone.

Their loss, hopefully a lot of we poor hobbyist scanner users gain.

Cheers

Last edited:

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Marlbrook, Eric
This is encouraging that you are considering including support for other AOR receivers. I still use my AOR-5000+3. Having the functionality of your software would be very helpful.

vince48

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
WHISTLER 1080 AND 1088 + others)

I know this an AOR thread, but this thread is also about the 'Q' functions as present in eSPYonARD for the AR-DV1.

I bought a Whistler 1088 handheld Analogue and Digital Scanner last week.

This is advertised as a Police Scanner in the U.S. and has only just arrived in the U.K.

Owners have access to the RR database via the supplied, excellent EZ SCAN software, but as previously discussed in Europe that database has very few frequencies.

The software also allows you to import frequency lists, but because of the fact so many are in different formats, it can not do so automatically, which then results in hours of typing.

Ideal for 'Q' I thought, so I have written a version especially for any Whistler Scanners using EZ SCAN.

It is I believe 95% finished, and fully operational.

I need a few BETA testers.

I think the new 'Whistler Q' may work with any radio that uses EZ SCAN, so I hope some of you out there with a Whistler would like to join in the Project.

Even users in the U.S. and Canada will benefit.

Basically, as in eSPYonARD, you can import almost any frequency, in any format, from virtually anywhere, including the WEB.

Whistler 'Q' will sort those frequencies very quickly (30 channels a second) into the exact correct format that EZ SCAN uses. I tested it on a frequency list with 3200 entries, and lots of unwanted lines, and it sorted it correctly in under 2 minutes. Depending on the list it can take as little as 5 to 10 seconds.

You can also add default modes, default Scan-List numbers, and apply Filters to your imported lists, before transferring them to EZ SCAN ready for uploading to the Scanner.

Your lists are automatically saved to your computer.

SO, if you have a Whistler scanner that uses EZ SCAN, and want the power of 'Q', then please reply here initially.

Cheers

mescalero

beta tester

if I can be helpful in Rome / Italy I am available willingly
thank
mail at request

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Another Manufacturer gets the power of 'Q'

Whistler 'Q' has arrived - http://whistlerq.wixsite.com/whistlerq

I am still waiting to hear if many people are interested in me developing it for other AOR receivers.
(Thanks to the few who have replied)

Not enough yet for me to commit to more months of work.

Cheers

MStep

Whistler 'Q' has arrived - http://whistlerq.wixsite.com/whistlerq

I am still waiting to hear if many people are interested in me developing it for other AOR receivers.
(Thanks to the few who have replied)

Not enough yet for me to commit to more months of work.

Cheers

Congratulations on your launch of the "Q" application for the Whistler series. I don't have a Whistler, but if it works the way that "Q" works on my DV1, you are going to have a lot of happy Whistler users.

Status
Not open for further replies.