Question About DPL on Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm curious as what the DPL would be for the a second frequency. My school has given me to permission to transmit on their frequency when I help out at sporting events. If you look here at Benton County School Corporation it has 1 frequency, 155.265 with a 754 DPL Benton County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference But if you click on the License(WPTS232) it has a second frequency of 153.77 how do I find out the DPL or PL for this frequency? I have a Wouxun KG-UVD1P which allows me to TX and RX. I cannot ask any administrators for I do not have their numbers at the moment and school is out of session. Thanks everyone!

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I cant find the manual for your exact model but for another wouxun has a ctcss/dcs scan feature it is in the menu to turn on.What I would do can you get ahold of one of the schools radios they use, tune to this second ch then key up?

Your wouxun should display the used DCS tone and then you save it to that freq,

My school has given me to permission to transmit on their frequency when I help out at sporting events. If you look here at Benton County School Corporation it has 1 frequency, 155.265 with a 754 DPL Benton County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference But if you click on the License(WPTS232) it has a second frequency of 153.77 how do I find out the DPL or PL for this frequency? I have a Wouxun KG-UVD1P which allows me to TX and RX. I cannot ask any administrators for I do not have their numbers at the moment and school is out of session. Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

I have looked in the manaul and havent seen anything about a CTCSS or DCS scan feature on my Wouxun.

They use the motorola CDM1550-LS+ in the buses, and the Motorola HT1250-LS+ for handhelds. They also use Motorola Mag One's for back-up radios.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Looks like from the license 153.770 is the input to the repeater (MO). The repeater (FB2) transmits on 155.265. You would need to program your radio to transmit on 153.770 and receive on 155.265. The DPL would normally be the same for transmit and receive (754). They are also licensed for "talk around". That is transmit and receive on the repeater output frequency 155.265. The PL would be the same for both.

BB

tvtech3

Well, There is a couple different ways to get it.
The easy way to do it is buy a freq/pl/dpl reader which will display the freq and pl tones.
But you have to be next to the radio while its tx ing.

The other way is to put your radio on their freq and turn on the pl/dpl recieve function and when they are tx ing just manually run thru the dpl/pl tones and when you hit the one being used it will open up that freq and then you will have it.

I use to do that alot until I bout a scanner that would also show the freq I was on and it would also show the pl/dpl being used on that channel

W2NJS

Most HTs these days have a function that will scan for either PL or DPL on a set channel and then display the PL or DPL number when the channel is activated.

Looks like from the license 153.770 is the input to the repeater (MO). The repeater (FB2) transmits on 155.265. You would need to program your radio to transmit on 153.770 and receive on 155.265. The DPL would normally be the same for transmit and receive (754). They are also licensed for "talk around". That is transmit and receive on the repeater output frequency 155.265. The PL would be the same for both.

BB

Thank you. But for the type it says its a Base and Mobiles. Not a repeater and mobiles. And for the DPL my Wouxun has 2 different options. DN754 and DI754. Which do I use? And do I program the DPL in the CTCSS/DCS TX(encode), the RX(decode) or both?

Last edited:

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Well the license says 155.265 is an FB2 which is a repeater. A base station is an FB. They have two mobile (or portable) frequencies. One is the input to the repeater and the other is the output of the repeater which is known as a talk-around channel. I suppose they could be using a base station but then they would not be licensed for a base station. Also note that they are wideband and will need to narrowband their frequencies before Jan 1, 2013.

BB

Well I programmed 153.77 in the input and for the input DCS I put DN754 and we all know for a fact that 155.265 is the output. I keyed up, and there was no beep like their usually is with a repeater. And when Im on the bus and they talk their is just a straight up beep like on GMRS radios.
And if you look here http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fle&stid=18&en=BENTON COMMUNITY SCHOOLS their is a list of a bunch more frequencies.

Last edited:

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Most commercial repeaters don't have beeps so that doesn't tell us much. There are two DPL codes, regular and inverted. You might try the inverted code (don't know if your radio will do that). It could also be that they are using a different input DPL than output DPL (I've seen all kinds of crazy combinations). It might be that they got their frequencies upside down. I've seen where someone mixed up the repeater and the mobile frequencies and got them backwards. I've also seen where they "fat-fingered" one of the frequencies by several numbers. I would talk to the people that program the radios as they can tell you exactly what the correct DPL codes might be.

Or you can try one of the suggestions above by listening to one of the buses transmit and see if your radio can scan for the proper DPL code. That will also tell you what frequency they are transmitting on.

BB

ecps92

IF you are programming a two-way radio based on RR Info, that is a major mistake.

You need to contact the Licensee for the proper programming information.
a.) Agencies use different tones on the input to prevent simple programming
b.) Repeater tails can be set to a short time, so Ker-Chunking by folks doesn't occur.

I'm curious as what the DPL would be for the a second frequency. My school has given me to permission to transmit on their frequency when I help out at sporting events. If you look here at Benton County School Corporation it has 1 frequency, 155.265 with a 754 DPL Benton County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference But if you click on the License(WPTS232) it has a second frequency of 153.77 how do I find out the DPL or PL for this frequency? I have a Wouxun KG-UVD1P which allows me to TX and RX. I cannot ask any administrators for I do not have their numbers at the moment and school is out of session. Thanks everyone!

Thanks Everyone. I new to the 2way radio community and I hope to get my license soon. I will contact the Transportation Coordinator and get the information from him. Again, thanks.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Lokking at the licence information I would say that 153.77 is the input to the repeater-it would most likly use the same code for access (754 DPL). Based on the fact the question has come up I would suggest you have someone 'check' your programing. for the handheld I would set Tx 153.77 (with a DPL of 754) and then RX on 155.265. Odds are that will set you up for repeater operation. If you tx and rx on 155.265 you will not go through the repeater and will have a much more limited range. (some times refered to as 'talk-around). While a lecence is no longer required to setup a radio the school district (and youi if operating the radio) are responsible for proper operation -including only transmitting on the authorized frequency(es). If in doubt-don't.

A dummy load and frequency counter go a long way in stay on the right side of the rules -they are reusabe and less expnsive than lawers and nerves.

W2NJS

The DI DCS will transmit inverted DPL. The DN will transmit normal DPL. Fact is that when a DCS signal is run through a repeater it gets inverted, so you need to transmit a DI code TO the repeater so that it comes out the "other side" as a regular DCS code.

GREAT NEWS! I found a second license for the school corp on here and tried the frequencies for the input. The school IS USING a repeater, and the input is 159.96mhz with a dpl of DN754. So it appears they are using a second frequency. Is that 159.96mhz a narrowband frequency? And is 155.265 a narrowband?

ecps92

The only way to know how the system is configured is to talk to the Licensee / System administrator.

Asking us as a bunch of hobbyists is not going to get the real answer. :roll:

Narrowbanding is based on the Equipment installed by the Licensee, and can rarely be determined by the frequency [unless it's specifically a NB frequency, which these are clearly not.]

GREAT NEWS! I found a second license for the school corp on here and tried the frequencies for the input. The school IS USING a repeater, and the input is 159.96mhz with a dpl of DN754. So it appears they are using a second frequency. Is that 159.96mhz a narrowband frequency? And is 155.265 a narrowband?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.