Question about licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,I know that you receive your ham radio license some time after you pass what ever test for what ever ham radio class you went for,and the license is the size of a drivers license.My question is,do you receive a diploma sized and styled license too? Or do you have to request one,if there is even such a thing?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The FCC sends you a paper license that is printed on 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper. At the bottom of the sheet is the "wallet sized" license. It is actually double the size of a wallet card as it's designed to be folded in half. This allows the FCC to produce a two-sided wallet sized license without actually have to print on both sides. The rest of the sheet is taken up by a larger license that could be cut out and framed. It is roughly 5 by 7 inches.

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
So, does anyone actually carry their license around? Can someone (law enforcement?) demand to see your license? What kind of situations would you need to have it on your person?

I don't carry mine, but I've always wondered if maybe I should.

LtDoc

I've carried the 'folded' license around for something like 20 years. No one has ever 'demanded' (asked) to see it that I can recall. The only time I was ever asked to see it was when I bought something ham related. When I told them I had bought from them before, they found a record and didn't need/want to see the license. I don't think that counts. Does it?
- 'Doc

K9WG

I have been asked to produce it when I applied for my call letter license plate.

Also (in some states) by having it on your person, that would be proof that you are allowed to have a scanner in your vehicle.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I carry mine around in my wallet, just in case. Have never needed to produce it in the 11 years I've had one (several actually counting upgrade and renewal) but I suggest laminating it if you do decide to carry it with you. Would've been destroyed long ago sitting in there!

KC0KM

I have laminated all four (Tech, Gen, Extra, Vanity) of my licenses, including both the wallet and the other copy. When I went to take my past (extra) test I think I was the only one who even brought my current license (which we are supposed to do), along with a copy. I have never been asked to produce it as well, even when I went to the "candy store". I do however, carry my license all the time, just in case.

richardbritt

Database Admin
Its a good idea to take a copy when you travel as well, especially in a city or state where they frown (or outlaw) scanners in vehicles. Usually hams are the exception and its legal. I keep a in my vehicles for that reason.

73 Richard W4MCD

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
OK, you guys have convinced me to at least put a copy in my car.

mkh

I have been asked to produce it when I applied for my call letter license plate.

Also (in some states) by having it on your person, that would be proof that you are allowed to have a scanner in your vehicle.

I'm in Florida and I have a 2m rig in my SUV and often have it on the Sheriff's frequency. I carry my license in mt wallet as scanners are illegal i a vehicle except for certain emergency personnel and licensed hams.

anode505

Between freq miles, hotel, rental cars, CCs, drivers lic, etc, etc, my wallet is more like a filling cabinet. Gonna go single card with all the numbers. Any 'authority' can DO their job and look it up if needed.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I have some more questions about licenses.

Is your license still valid if the wallet size one gets ripped or cut in half? And is the wallet size one valid too if that happens to it?

Do you have to have your license on hand if you travel out of the state that is on the license?

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is your license still valid if the wallet size one gets ripped or cut in half?
Yes.
And is the wallet size one valid too if that happens to it?
I think this is the same question. The piece of paper that says you have a U.S. amateur radio license is only a piece of paper with printing on it. As long as the FCC database says you have a valid, non-expired license, you have a license.
Do you have to have your license on hand if you travel out of the state that is on the license?
Only if a law enforcement officer asks to see your amateur radio license. And that would only happen if they question why you have radio equipment on your person or in your car. I've been stopped by the police both in-state and out-of-state and have never been asked to show my amateur radio license.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply.I have another question,would the paper wallet sized license still be good if the ripped or cut part is taped back and then the whole license is laminated?

n5ims

Thanks for the reply.I have another question,would the paper wallet sized license still be good if the ripped or cut part is taped back and then the whole license is laminated?

That depends on what you're talking about when you say "still be good". Since no paper license is required (only that the FCC database shows your license is valid) to use your ham radio, this would work if the paper wallet sized license was torn, shreaded, burnt up, or destroyed by not removing it from your pants pocket when you washed the pants.

If by "still be good" you're asking about the need to present it to an examiner who is about to give you a test to upgrade your existing license, that may depend on what their rules are. I suspect in most cases, so long as the license is legible and matches what they find on the internet (should they decide to check it there) matches what you put on your test application form you should be good.

The FCC rules are clear regarding the paper license and your right to operate your station (FCC: Wireless Services: Amateur Radio Service: Amateur Licensing: Examinations)

Your operating authority begins when your license grant information appears in the Amateur Radio Service licensing information, available by searching the Universal Licensing System (ULS). These searches allow the viewing of pending applications and granted license information. There is no requirement that you have a license grant document showing the information in ULS in your possession before you begin operating. For more information, refer to more information on Communications & Operations.

If you read that carefully, you'll notice that there's never any mention of the paper license, therefore no paper license is required to operate. This lack of paper license being required allowes any paper license that you may have to be in perfect shape, damaged and repaired, folded up very small, copied, soaked in a soft drink, given to a child to draw on, lost, stolen, burned, or whatever else you'd like to do with it and "still be good" as far as your authority to operate your station goes.

And to answer your next question...
I have another question,would the paper wallet sized license still be good if the ripped or cut part is taped back and then the whole license is laminated even if a few pieces are missing?

Yes, the license would still be good even if a few pieces are missing.

Last edited:

nd5y

You can go to the FCC ULS web site and request a duplicate license and they will send you a new one. For amateur licenses I don't think it costs anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.