Question about Pro-97 in CTCSS mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9-cop

OK I do not own this scanner but am looking to purchase it. My question is when it is in CTCSS mode...... Let's say a repeater has a transmit freq of 460.200 and a receive freq of 465.200 with a CTCSS tone of 180.0........ OK so the Pro-97 will pick up the receive freq displaying 465.200 and will also recognize the tone as 180.0 and display both of these.

My question is what if I did not know the transmit freq which 460.200, does this scanner also display the transmit freq? If not how would I find that out?

If I am at all confused about this process please straighten me out :)

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
k9-cop said:
OK I do not own this scanner but am looking to purchase it. My question is when it is in CTCSS mode...... Let's say a repeater has a transmit freq of 460.200 and a receive freq of 465.200 with a CTCSS tone of 180.0........ OK so the Pro-97 will pick up the receive freq displaying 465.200 and will also recognize the tone as 180.0 and display both of these.

It will display the PL of 179.9 along with the programmed freq that you put in to the bank, in this case, 460.2000. ( Why would you listen to the input of the repeater unless you wanted to see how close a particular transmitting unit was? The better audio and signal will be on the output, so ignore the 465.2000 ).

k9-cop said:
My question is what if I did not know the transmit freq which 460.200, does this scanner also display the transmit freq? If not how would I find that out?

FCC database. Could be simplex work too depending on who you are trying to listen to and where. If the freq you are trying to listen to is 460.2000 with a PL of 179.9, I would venture to say the input is in fact five megs higher and would be at 465.2000.

k9-cop said:
If I am at all confused about this process please straighten me out :)

That's why we're all here.

k9-cop

The reason I need the in transmit freq is to program my mobile and handheld radios that I use for work. I travel for training and it is nice to have other agencies freq with repeater access.

So after reading your reply I just realized how dumb of a question it was. Of course the scanner will pick up the transmit freq and since the tone is the same going in and coming out of the repeater, the scanner can display the tone whether it is picking it up on the transmit or recieve end right?

Explain what you were talking about with simplex, you can't have a repeated freq that is on the same transmit and receive freq can you?

So with UHF is it standard with the five meg difference in the transmit and receive freqs?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
The reason I need the in transmit freq is to program my mobile and handheld radios that I use for work. I travel for training and it is nice to have other agencies freq with repeater access.
Doesn't someone do that for you? It's quite hard to do.
So after reading your reply I just realized how dumb of a question it was. Of course the scanner will pick up the transmit freq and since the tone is the same going in and coming out of the repeater, the scanner can display the tone whether it is picking it up on the transmit or recieve end right?
Yes, but you don't need to listen to the transmit side. The receive side will be a much clearer signal.
Explain what you were talking about with simplex, you can't have a repeated freq that is on the same transmit and receive freq can you?
Simplex is the complete opposite of a repeater. It is the absence of one. Simplex is basically "line of sight" transmissions. It all depends on the power of the radio to determine if you can hear it. Since there is no repeater, there is only one frequency.
So with UHF is it standard with the five meg difference in the transmit and receive freqs?
Correct :)

k9-cop

I have Kenwood mobile and handheld radios. They are not hard at all to program, the software is Windows based and is easier than the software I have seen to program the Pro-97......

OK that is what I thought the correct answer for Simplex was.

So if you have the standard 5 meg split with UHF, how do I figure out transmit freq for VHF? They seem to be off the wall so to speak when it comes to the difference between the transmit and receive signals?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
So if you have the standard 5 meg split with UHF, how do I figure out transmit freq for VHF? They seem to be off the wall so to speak when it comes to the difference between the transmit and receive signals?
Yes, there is no standard for VHF like there is for UHF, they are all over the place. The easiest way to figure it out is the go to http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...Me6Fh740RwNeNkzHzPZB3gx85!848171467!187172257

Say you know the receive freq of a repeater is 152.405. You would first select the state under "Licensee", and scroll to the bottom. Under "Frequencies", select the EXACT box, and type in the known frequency (in this case 152.405). Click search. It should then give you a bunch of licences it found. Select the one for the agency you have the frequency for. Then, click on the "Frequency" tab. Under that tab, it will show you the frequency you already have, and the transmit freq (it is almost always higher in frequency than the receive. ex, 157.xxx) Keep in mind this whole process assumes you know the name of the agency you are listening to, because you need to select their licence from the search results.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, actually the quickest way to figure out the VHF repeater frequencies would to be to look them up in this site's database.

If the database doesn't have the entry you are looking for, then you can use the method I explained above.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Just make sure you have permission to transmit on those freqs first with a signed letter.

There are also exceptions to the 5MHz offset on UHF, and there are such things are simplex repeaters.

You should also take note some repeaters are known to have split tones, meaning a DPL is required to open it up, and it kicks a PL out.

Status
Not open for further replies.