Question about scanner RF damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougWare

Feed Provider
I realize this subject has been beat with a stick over and over, but the posts I've seen deal with a 50W to 110W transmitter within a few feet of a 396T or 396XT and it's suggested that it's not a good idea.

If you need 3 or more feet between the radio and scanner antennas for 50W-110Ws, could you get away with a foot or maybe slightly less between a 5W portable and my 396XT?

In short, can a 5W transmitter in close proximity to the 396XT damage it?

Doug

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Its never a good idea to use any radio transmitter near scanners.Try to put the transmitter as far alway from the scanner or scanners as possible.

lep

While separation is a good idea it is not always practical. In my auto I have my BCD996T mounted under the passenger front seat next to my Kenwood 2m/70cm dual band transceiver the cases are within an inch of touching. They are both connected by good quality RG59 coax under the floor to antennas on the opposite rear quarter panels of a standard sized car. The scanner is connected to an NMO mount with 900 MHz MOT whip and the transceiver to a NMO with 1/4 w (19 inch) whip. The transceiver is typically 50 w input power.

The have been in daily use for mor than 5 years with no intermod, no mutual interference and no RF damage to the receiver of either.

The complete installation was done by my local MOT service shop including furnishing both NMO mounts and antennas. They didn't see anything unusual about the configuration, they put multiple radios in vehicles (including the local fire and police cars) all the time. One man began under the hood at the battery running DC cables through the firewall and the other installer began in the trunk-drilling the holes for the NMBO fender mounts and running the coax under the floor...they met in the passenger compartment and put the RF units under the the seat...they two control head were installed on the 'console'. Took about 2 hours (4 man/hours) to do the job. I have been very pleased.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
I realize this subject has been beat with a stick over and over, but the posts I've seen deal with a 50W to 110W transmitter within a few feet of a 396T or 396XT and it's suggested that it's not a good idea.

If you need 3 or more feet between the radio and scanner antennas for 50W-110Ws, could you get away with a foot or maybe slightly less between a 5W portable and my 396XT?

In short, can a 5W transmitter in close proximity to the 396XT damage it?

Doug

I had this problem, with my 396XT and my Yeasu ham radio, mounted in the car..the 5 watts was fine but once i didnt realize i was up to 75watts on the ham with the ant.s mounted about 18 inch.s or so apart on the roof of my suv. the scanner didnt win ...it (Transmitting on 75 watts) damaged it and i needed to send it to uniden for a $60 repair...

DougWare

Feed Provider
I had this problem, with my 396XT and my Yeasu ham radio, mounted in the car..the 5 watts was fine but once i didnt realize i was up to 75watts on the ham with the ant.s mounted about 18 inch.s or so apart on the roof of my suv. the scanner didnt win ...it (Transmitting on 75 watts) damaged it and i needed to send it to uniden for a $60 repair...

My simple HAM portable is only 5w, can you explain where the 75w came into play?

Doug

DougWare

Feed Provider
That would be my guess too, it just looked a little confusing. So can anyone give me a definite answer to my question of a 5w portable can damage my scanner if they are both using their standard antennas that are a foot or so apart?

Doug

DannB

Premium Subscriber
ham vs scanner

That would be my guess too, it just looked a little confusing. So can anyone give me a definite answer to my question of a 5w portable can damage my scanner if they are both using their standard antennas that are a foot or so apart?

Doug

TOO clearify yes my mobile puts out 75 on VHF, this is how the damage happened...but i DONT have a problem when i transmit on 5 watts, which is where my power output usually stays...my scanner does not get affected when transmitting on 5 watts from the ham radio with the 2 ant. less then 2ft appart...

DougWare

Feed Provider
TOO clearify yes my mobile puts out 75 on VHF, this is how the damage happened...but i DONT have a problem when i transmit on 5 watts, which is where my power output usually stays...my scanner does not get affected when transmitting on 5 watts from the ham radio with the 2 ant. less then 2ft appart...

Thank you for posting and I appreciate the clarification. You've given me all the information I needed to make an informed decision on mounting my portable in my car.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
I would not see that a 5watt radio close to a scanner would do much damage unless you are touching the antennas. Portable radios talk to and from at close ranges just fine. And Dan, They make portable radio holders for most radios that you can clip to your door/window in your car or truck. But I have not heard of any issues with a 5w portable messin up a scanner. So you should be good to go. The 75 watts as in Dans case, will cause harm to a scanner.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
what ??

SCANNERHEAD1983"Dan, They make portable radio holders for most radios that you can clip to your door/window in your car or truck"

HMMM? where did i reference that

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I wish someone would invent/make a microphone hang-up box that has some kind of relay in it so that when you remove the microphone, it would shut off power to a scanner. That way you don't have to worry about frying your scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.