Question about Yaesu FT-7900R and Packet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ay00

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about buying a Yaesu FT-7900R as first transceiver but I'd like to be sure that I'd be able to use packet for things like APRS, AGWTracker or Multipsk, ISS BBS (anyone have a tutorial on that btw?), through my soundcard on my computer. Yaesu says that there is a 1200/9600 bps Packet Jack and one of the sellers on eBay is even offering a "USB data cable", is this what I'd need to work packet or is this strictly for programming purposes? What additional things would I need to hook up the transceiver to the computer soundcard instead of having to use a TNC? Does it go through that packet jack or is there a way to hook the transceiver's Mic In to the Computer's Line Out?

I can figure out a dedicated system if I need to as I have enough PC parts lying around.

ay00

Premium Subscriber
I'm actually using that program right now for the local digipeaters, although on a receive only basis with a Realistic Pro-2006. I want to get into the transmit portion.

W2PMX

If the radio has a mic jack, you can use the sound card for packet (and other digital modes). All you need is a hardware interface, and there are instructions for building your own and already-built ones all over the web. (It's about $10 in parts if you can build, or about $30 and up if you buy.) The same interface you use on 2 meters for packet is used on the low bands for PSK31, RTTY, etc.

D

DaveNF2G

In my experience, Yeasu's built-in "digital" ports are not as flexible as using an external interface such as a Rig Blaster or other such device.

Status
Not open for further replies.