Question for Nashville listeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDavis90

I live in Smyrna and I am wanting to get a digital trunking scanner to monitor Nashville. My question concerns reception. I put the frequencies in a regular scanner and I can hear all the digital noise. So does this mean that if I hear that - then I should as well be able to hear the communications when I get an APCO25 digital scanner?

Thanks!

suttles1972

If you are in Smyrna, the reception for Nashville won't be a problem for a portable scanner. But, I will recommend a portable 800mhz antenna, in addition to a digital trunking scanner.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
MFD169 said:
I live in Smyrna and I am wanting to get a digital trunking scanner to monitor Nashville. My question concerns reception. I put the frequencies in a regular scanner and I can hear all the digital noise. So does this mean that if I hear that - then I should as well be able to hear the communications when I get an APCO25 digital scanner?

Thanks!

I travel I-24 often, and I starting picking up Metro Police on my GRE-500, with a mobile tri-band antenna just past the Beech Grove exit, heading into Nashville, westbound. I would think, as the other post said, if you have an 800 mhz antenna (like the Radio Shack 800 rubber duckie0 and live in Smyrna you should receive Nashville just fine. I have found that the GRE 500 does a better job receiving digital than the Uniden 396 or Radio Shack Pro 96. Also, I understand from some of the posts on this forum that in the next few months Nashville will be "re-banding" so you would probably want to be sure the radio you purchase can accomodate that change.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I hear Nashville just fine from Smyrna when i'm down there. I use a PSR-500 W/Diamond RH77CA.

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
i live in lafayette tennessee and here them good .im using a psr-500 with a scantenna 25 feet up and rg6 coax by the way im 65 miles from nashville

Last edited:

Laserjock

jimg:

As I am a newbie to scanning, can you tell me if the Pro-96 will accomodate the reprogramming needed once the rebanding takes place?

mindtouch

Type Of Scanner

I live in the Nashville area and wish to buy a scanner. Are the Nashville police and EMS systems digital or analog? Would an analog triple trunking scanner pick up both ends of the conversations on these systems? How about the THP? I am trying to avoid buying something that will not do what I want. Also does anybody know whether an analog scanner will work with the Robertson County system?
Thanks
Tommy

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
Nashville and EMS are digital as far as thp there still analog and robertson county is analog

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Laserjock said:
jimg:

As I am a newbie to scanning, can you tell me if the Pro-96 will accomodate the reprogramming needed once the rebanding takes place?

Just saw your post yesterday. To answer your question if the PRO-96 will accomodate rebanding, I am not sure. You might want to read the various posts about that subject here on RR from people that are more knowledgable than I am. The PRO-96 is a good scanner, and I tried one before I decided to go with the GRE 500. However, in my opinion, the 500 offers more features and more for the money than the 96 does, and I think right now they are the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.