Question for Portland Oregon listeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

pessia

Hey all, I used to listen to Tri-Met (the bus system) when it was analog. Now that it's digital, I get the channels on my new scanner but there is little to no activity. Just wondered if anyone else hears activity on those talkgroups. Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I used to listen to Tri-Met (the bus system) when it was analog. Now that it's digital, I get the channels on my new scanner but there is little to no activity. Just wondered if anyone else hears activity on those talkgroups. Thanks.
Which scanner are you using? If using a database scanner, such as Uniden's HP-1/-2, 436- or 536HP, or Whistler's WS1088 or WS1098, do you have all of the corresponding service types enabled? Also, if a database scanner, are you using just location, range, and main databasr, or using a Favorites or Scanlist?

You might also consider having your thread moved to the Oregon Forum. Somone local would be more likely to see it there, and could have additional insight on the system. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum.

pessia

Thanks for the replies, didn't know there was an Oregon forum.

I have the bus talkgroups in a scanlist (bus dispatch, and all of the bus mics). It's a WS-1088 by the way.

Last edited:

radiotweester

A possible explanation is if you aren't listening to the main site (Counsel Crest). Those sites won't be active with traffic unless there's a radio affiliating with them. You might also try Portland's P25 system. It's a patch carrying the main MAX and Bus channels.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Also, with the busses, they tend to use I-calls or private calls with the dispatchers.

Make sure you have that feature enabled with the Tri Met system.

- Chris

pessia

Thanks, I'm getting the calls now but a lot of them are garbled. Other calls on the Portland system sound fine. Weird.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
One thing I've noticed looking at signal strengths in SDR Sharp is that TriMet's appears quite a bit weaker than Portland's. A different antenna might help getting TriMet's system, or maybe take the scanner around and see if it's your location. Also, I think Mt Scott also carries many or all of the regular transmissions if that site works better for you (note that bus calls only go through the site the bus is connected to, and that the system is not simulcast).

Status
Not open for further replies.