Question for Rochester scanner enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyGregg

Hi, I just bought a Uniden BCD536HP scanner and am new to the trunking listening. In regards to RFD frequencies, if I enter the Monroe/Ontario Counties P25 frequencies, I seem to not receive the dispatch or truck talk. If I enter the old 154.130 - etc. I receive the old scratchy transmissions but don't always hear the trucks even if they are a 1/4 mile away working a job. Are there settings I am missing with the P25 to get it set correctly? Everything else seems to work fine on the unit so I attribute it to, operator error. Are there any scanner clubs around Rochester? Thanks.

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
Hey Gregg. There could be a few things going on here. How are you putting them into the scanner? Is it coming from an import straight from the RR DB?

You're antenna could be another HUGE factor here. That particular system is 700/800 mhz, so you'll really want an antenna tuned for that band. The difference is likely to be night and day.

IMO, I would install an ST2 antenna outside while using a nice scanner like the BCD536HP for max performance. Disclaimer: I haven't used an ST2 with 800 P25 so I don't know its real capabilities there, but I've heard it works well.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hey Gregg

What do you mean by "entering the frequency"?

Are you putting them in manually or are you using the auto database entry from the scanner itself? That could be the first issue if you aren't used to these new style scanners. There is definitely a learning curve there.

Also, like quickcall mentioned, what antenna are you using and how close to the system are you?

I'm not familiar with the Monroe system nor am I an expert with these scanners, but we'll need this info first before we can offer up too much help.

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by "entering the frequency"?

Are you putting them in manually or are you using the auto database entry from the scanner itself? That could be the first issue if you aren't used to these new style scanners. There is definitely a learning curve there.

Also, like quickcall mentioned, what antenna are you using and how close to the system are you?

I'm not familiar with the Monroe system nor am I an expert with these scanners, but we'll need this info first before we can offer up too much help.

So literally everything i said in my first post...

RF-Burns

Monroe County utilizes a Harris Trunked System, the P25 Frequencies your are in reference to are the trunked frequencies for the county. The 154.130 frequency you are in reference to is a VHF Symplex channel which means it is not repeated whatsoever. The transmissions you are hearing on the P25 trunk system are just simulcasted from the VHF side. In Order to hear the VHF stuff clearly you must be in range or within close proximity. The Harris system is a countywide system which you will hear everything on, the system is not 100% operational at this time and does go down from time to time for system maintenance and testing. Nobody within the fire departments of Monroe County are actually using the trunk system at this time.

A word of advice if you still can return your 536 then I would. The radio has more problems than it's worth and most of the functions that make it such a popular radio do not work. I would buy the new Whistler scanner coming out or the Bearcat 996xtp2

Hi, I just bought a Uniden BCD536HP scanner and am new to the trunking listening. In regards to RFD frequencies, if I enter the Monroe/Ontario Counties P25 frequencies, I seem to not receive the dispatch or truck talk. If I enter the old 154.130 - etc. I receive the old scratchy transmissions but don't always hear the trucks even if they are a 1/4 mile away working a job. Are there settings I am missing with the P25 to get it set correctly? Everything else seems to work fine on the unit so I attribute it to, operator error. Are there any scanner clubs around Rochester? Thanks.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if a APX7000 (non-affiliate programming) can monitor a Harris Trunked System? I'm guessing the answer is "no" but seeing what the consensus is.

Thanks!

RF-Burns

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if a APX7000 (non-affiliate programming) can monitor a Harris Trunked System? I'm guessing the answer is "no" but seeing what the consensus is.

Thanks!

Yes. an APX7000 can monitor the system in Non Affiliated Scan Mode. You also can monitor Genesee Counties Phase II System. I have my XTS5000 programmed to the Monroe County Harris System and it works absolutely fantastic.

Read through this thread for some useful information on the APX7000 - Motorola radios on Harris systems

And this thread for XTS2500/5000 - http://www.austech.info/showthread.php/98167-Do-I-Need-An-Advanced-System-Key

Last edited by a moderator:

NyGregg

P25 problem...

Thanks everyone...I found out it's a "simulcast" problem. Once I deleted the Simulcast section, I am able to receive the majority of conversation easily.

NyGregg

I just went into Sentinel and deleted out of my favorites list and connected to the unit to update the info on the card

Status
Not open for further replies.