Question from the wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Today, Michael-SATX wrote:

Approximately where in San Antonio can this NSA 389.48750 freq be received ? Since seeing this RR Database add, I have tried to receive this signal from both my RS store rQQf top antenna with a Pro-197 and my own Pro-106 at home which is located in the North Central Area at 281N and 1604 - No Signal Period ! So, is this APCO-25 (FDMA) signal either constant, intermitant or VERY low power ?

Bottom Line: Who can RX it, with what radio and most importantly WHERE ???

73 Mike

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
To Mike,

Thanks for reposting this where it could be found.

To MichaelSATX,

You can continue this discussion here, which is probably what you intended to do anyway. The CC transmitter has been turned off, as noted by the linked news article in the active thread, until March 1st, because it was causing problems with nearby garage door openers. Since they (the garage door openers) are technically a secondary applicant of that frequency, they have no "protection from interference rights," that primary users (in this case, Uncle Sam & the NSA) would have. Hence why, whether your garage door is fitted with a new door opener or not, the transmitter comes back on line on March 1st, 2010. You should start looking for that freq again in March.

Michael-SATX

Wow, that's crazy I just last night saw the story about home owners and their garage dQQr openers
and I connected the dots and after reading this thread it's confirmed. In my life I have worked with garage door openers that have used 340Mhz and I think 360 ish ... but never 389 ish Mhz.
One obvious question is why and the heck did the NSA system consultant choose 389.4875 anyway?
Mmm, was it to try to be sneaky and avoid scanning ? ... seriously, why not go with low 400's or 700Mhz .... why upper Mil-Air .... it that bizzare to anyone ? Hey, anybody know if there are
other facilities that use the 389 Mhz area ? My thoughts are that after all the TV press ... gee
what would be easier, to move the NSA frequency or for lots of homeowners to have to be out of pocket for costs to chance out their garage door radio systems ? The Gov't is being very inconsiderate !!!

Michael-SATX

Thanks MtnBiker2005, I had not realized 389.xxxx was used for TRS systems.
So it lQQks like our NSA wins and the public looses having to go retrofit their
affected garage door opener radio's. Oh well garage door companys will ca$h in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.