• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question on frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So I'm pretty new to all of this and was looking for a couple of decent radios to use on the job site from time to time and picked up a couple of old HT750's from a guy at a flea market. I don't have the programming cable or the software but was keying up the radio and watching my scanner until I found the frequencies broadcasting from the radios. It appears these are all programmed between 354mhz to 422mhz, are these military frequencies? All 16 channels work on both radios, I'm just wondering if I can get into trouble using these radios programmed as they are?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, those frequencies would fall in around military and federal users, so not a good place to be.

In reality, your scanner is probably just locking on something it's hearing, not necessarily where the radios are transmitting. The scanner receiver will easily overload with a strong signal and just sort of freak out.

Ideally you need to get them connected to a computer to see where they are set up. There really are not any places you can use an HT-750 that doesn't require an FCC license (if you are in the USA).

Depending on where they were used before, it's possible that you could easily interfere with someone else and not necessarily be aware of it. I'd strongly recommend that you get them properly set up for somewhere you have a license before doing anything else.

And, this is the exact reason that before any old/obsolete/surplus radio leaves my employer they are completely wiped and programmed with a single receive only frequency.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the reply mmckenna, I was able to get the cps software and programming cable and the frequencies programmed show from channel 1 being 354.3125 to channel 16 being 422.5187 and the rest from 370's, 380's, 390's and 400's. I looked at a frequency chart on the FCC's site for 2016 and it shows these frequencies to be 335.4 to 399.9 fixed Mobile and 400.05 to 410 as mobile to satellite reserved for space and mobile satellite earth to space. What in the world would these have been used for?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Military, likely, or something from overseas.

Absolutely a place you don't want to be transmitting.

Also, if these radios are that low UHF band split, there isn't anything available to regular guys like us that you can legally license down there. In some very specific cases and in very specific parts of the country, agencies can get licenses down around 420MHz, but not for the type of stuff you want them for.

Best thing to do is sell them on e-bay as a "parts" radio and get something that you can get licensed for.
These are not them.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
That is a weird wide range of frequencies. I thought the HT750s didn't come below 403 MHz? And I don't think I've ever seen a FM commercial type LMR radio designed to work below 380 MHz.
Wonder if the radio was pushed out of band, or something is wrong with your reading of the radio (corrupt codeplug or something) or if they were a special make.
Either way, assuming you are in the USA, mcckenna's suggestion to *not* use these is a good idea.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think the scanner was overloaded and most of the frequencies found are bogus.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the reply mmckenna, I was able to get the cps software and programming cable and the frequencies programmed show from channel 1 being 354.3125 to channel 16 being 422.5187 and the rest from 370's, 380's, 390's and 400's. I looked at a frequency chart on the FCC's site for 2016 and it shows these frequencies to be 335.4 to 399.9 fixed Mobile and 400.05 to 410 as mobile to satellite reserved for space and mobile satellite earth to space. What in the world would these have been used for?

Just for giggles, whats the full model number off the back of the radio? That should help narrow down exactly what these guys are.

Bonus points if you post a photo of it. That'll provide some additional info.

Status
Not open for further replies.