Question on marine radio rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA1NTG

Premium Subscriber
I work at a very large annual public event near my hometown every year. It's temporary, and I work on the waterfront staff. There are thousands and thousands of folks on land (dealt with by many other staff), while we deal with boaters coming in to our harbor/beachfront area and coming ashore. Coast Guard and local police are on the water as well. We've never had problems hailing vessels with 1W on Channel 16 from the basecamp on the beach, all vessels are within 1 nmi and we very quickly move over to a working channel to coordinate docking and coming ashore. We're much appreciated because we know the area better than anyone else- it's our home, and as part of the event we maintain very open and friendly relationships and comms with about 10 different agencies.

What I was told, unofficially, is that if you're professional on the air, have at least one person involved on the water, and have everyone else close on land and coordinating maritime activities you won't be bothered. So that means being mindful of 16, using the lowest power possible, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.