• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

question on motorola xls5000 & 2000 handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4c346

hello,this is not a programming question.if it is please point me in the right direction.talked to a guy today ,and he told me the system we have is still on the 800 analog system.so i punched in a couple frequencies.i caught conversation on the 2000 motorola portable ,but could not catch it on the xls 5000.please bear with me,this may be a dumb question.i have a pro51 radio shack handheld.is this because the pro51 is too old, or because it's not digital?is there a 800 analog frquencie ,and a 800 digital frequencie?do i need a digital scanner to catch the xls5000?i thought it was analog and digital ready.thank you.your input is greatly appreciated

b4c346

i said it was probally a dumb question mancow,but i'm just used to the pro51 scanner i have since 1995 and i'm just trying to find out a little about what i asked.i just use to put frequencies in the scanner and monitor them.just need a little help between what happened when i tried to monitor the xls5000 and the handheld 2000.sorry if it sounded stupid,but i'm not up to date with this.i would appreciate your help.thank you.

mancow

Database Admin
No worries... it's just that people get on here and ask some off the wall stuff at times and you never quite know if they are being serious or not. It sounds like you are.

Your post was a bit hard to understand and the model numbers were all jumbled up so it make it look as if it was maybe a spoof.

Anyway, I think you are referring to the XTS-5000 and either MTS-2000, or maybe even the XTS-2500.

We would need to know what system you are trying to monitor to help you for sure. But, basically if it's an analog NON TRUNKING sytem then you should be able to use the PRO-51 to listen properly.

I'm still confused about the second part. Are you saying that you could transmit on the MTS2000 and you could hear it on the scanner but you couldn't hear it on the XTS5000?

The XTS5000 is a P-25 digital capable radio but all the actual features depend on the flash code that is in it. I don't know what the 2000 is you mention but if it's an MTS2000 it may be able to trunk track but it will not do P-25 digital.
The PRO-51 is strictly analog and non trunking.

b4c346

thanks for replying mancow.ok my screw up ,i gave you the wrong #'s.i have a xtl5000 motorola and a mts 2000 portable.i work for jefferson parish public works in la.hope this isn't too long .a guy came to check our radio's before hurricane season.i asked him if we were on the digital system or still analog.he said we are on analog,so i know the analog channels we are on.when i keyed my mts 2000 i picked it up ,but the xtl5000 did not get the signal.so,what i was trying to find out is ,do i need a digital scanner to catch the xtl5000 base unit,and is there a 800 digital frequencie and a 800 analog frequencie? i am ordering a uniden 966t,hopefully to track latie and public works.this guy from tomba communications had me way confused.will i be able to receive communication with the 966t from the mts 2000 and the xtl 5000.?

Last edited:

b4c346

hello,the motorola 5000 is in my office,and i can hear myself keying the mts 2000 portable.on the 5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.