Question on using an personal ICOM radio on Starcom21

Status
Not open for further replies.

cditty20

does anyone know what 2 way radio the illinois state police use i live in lasalle county and i know they use a star com 21 but i dont know what type of radio they use so i can hear them on mine

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It doesn't matter what radio they use. If your scanner can monitor the system, you will hear the troopers. (Unless they are encrypted.)

cditty20

Well i wanted to get a new icom and i cant find one that runs a 800-900 mhz frequency which is state police here and im talking bout icom 2-way not a scanner

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're supposed to have the radio and can *legally* get it programmed, you'd be good to go. I kinda suspect you want an Icom handheld to listen in on Starcom21.

In 2 words, I wouldn't.

Every state is different, of course, but I suspect if you have a radio you're not supposed to have on Starcom21, and you are discovered, you could get into a huge legal hassle.

Bottom line - 3 words - buy a scanner

best regards..Mike

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I'm not sure what this has to do with ICOM Receivers so I'm moving it to the IL forum.

And please form more descriptive subjects in the future. Thanks.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Illinois does have a law against programming a two-way radio for the StarCom21 system. I agree with Mike, go out an buy a scanner to *Listen* to the State Police.

Icom does not make a trunking scanner that will work, you are best off with one of the Uniden, GRE or RadioShack models. If you become a paying member at RadioReference you can download the system directly into your scanner. If you get a Uniden 396XT or 996XT you can get a copy of the free CARMA programming file for SC21 at the CARMA website.

Astro25

You would need an Astro25 platform type radio (XTS2500/5000, XTL). They can be programmed to monitor/scan passively, but it takes some trickery and you've got to know your way around the CPS. ASTRO Sabers will also work (with the appropriate 9600 firmware), given your locale doesn't use any 700MHz channels.

Don't know about iCom....

iamhere300

Tait also has radios accepted for use on the system, HOWEVER as it is Motorolas system, not the states, Motorola can charge a fee for allowing other manufacturers radios on the system according to the contract. They also charge a monthly fee for everyones radios.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Icom does not make ANY
7-800Mhz portable or mobile subscriber equipment.

scanningisfun

I don't understand why you would want a two way radio capable of transmitting on Starcom. You are not going to talk so what is the point in dropping a buttload of money on a costly P25 radio.

Last edited:

KB9WUV

http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-forum/222875-question.html#post1622424

"...is there a 2 way radio that i will be able to use that i can hear the state police and communicate with them."

TO SUM IT UP NO!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU ARE NOT A STATE TROOPER U HAVE NO NEED TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM!!!!! IF YOU ATTEMPT TO PROGRAM A TWO WAY RADIO FOR STARCOM YOU CAN GO TO JAIL!! its this type of behavior that puts our hobby at risk,,,,buy a scanner thats the ONLY legal way!!! please enough!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.