• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8DVR

Update ; couldn't find a loaner dummy load so i built one. really good SWR and straight up 50.1 ohms.
Radio tested pretty well on load 3.5 + watts across the board. talks pretty good out to about 8 miles per a radio check from a reliable friend from the old CB days in the 70s. guess i will be happy with that from my cheap (economical) little uniden 510 pro. thanks again for the help and responses..
Dog
That's about right. The 510 is actually a good radio. The stock electret mics sound good. I only use electret mics. Much better transmitted sound quality. My HF amateur rig has one too.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

Don't forget that we're currently in the years of low sunspot activity. This has a marked effect on CB frequencies. As solar activity improves in future years, so will CB activity.

John
Well, cb activity may increase now. The band's are quiet, without the illegal long distance traffic. Cb is designed for short range communications. The illegals jammed up the channels.

Now, it can go back to the purpose it was designed for.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

bigdog58

Good point! LOL!! Well do you intend to operate from the base as well?

I have thought about a base. If I could find and old astro - plane antenna I might consider it. In the 70s I had one of these base antennas and still feel it was the best omni directional base antenna of the time. Antenna was mounted on an 1.5 " pipe hose clamped to a piece of 2 " angle iron. Routine talks of twenty plus miles were common place. At the time I think I paid twenty eight dollars for that antenna.

TheSpaceMann

I have thought about a base. If I could find and old astro - plane antenna I might consider it. In the 70s I had one of these base antennas and still feel it was the best omni directional base antenna of the time. Antenna was mounted on an 1.5 " pipe hose clamped to a piece of 2 " angle iron. Routine talks of twenty plus miles were common place. At the time I think I paid twenty eight dollars for that antenna.
Well you can make a ground plane base antenna for only a few bucks! You just need some wire and a 2X2 board or PVC pole!! :)

jim202

It's not FM so is that dead-key or modulated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of a question is that? RF power is RF power, be it AM or FM, the carrier level will not change with just the pure RF applied. Now if you yell into an AM radio with a steady tone or "AHHHHH" you might see some change, but it won't effect the true RF carrier level your looking to measure.

Now if we start talking SSB, then that is a whole different story and the question comes in are you looking at average power or peak power output? Here you can have a big difference in how the signal is measured.

bigdog58

Yep, I remember the Astroplane! A lot of people back then used to laugh at it and say that it looked like a lamp shade!! :)

When I first got it the friend that got me in to CB said it wasn't going to work well. It worked very good indeed on transmit and receive. I typically talked farther than his base, on a much shorter mast, at least 10 feet shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.