Questions about monitoring Boulder Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwilborn

Hey,

So I have a question. Boulder County Sheriff has three "Green" channels; North, Central and South. Boulder County Fire also has four "Red 1" channels; North, Central, South and Direct.

I was listening to some transmissions on Red-1 North and it was coming in horribly. I locked that channel out and found the same transmission on the Red-1 South channel, which was coming in crystal clear. I found this odd, since I live in Greeley and figured the north tower is probably closer and would come in more clear. I find this often to not be the case, but whatever.

My question is: Are all transmissions on BCSO Green simulcast (same for BCF Red-1)? If so, am I wasting channels or being less efficient by monitoring seven different channels when two will suffice?

Thanks!

-- B

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Yes you just need one Red 1 or one Green for example, pick the best one for your reception.

Jim<

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Red-1 south is usually the best anywhere, here in Lupton I use the south ch and it comes in clear with no problems.

And as far as which chs to monitor, depends on what you want to listen to, if you don't need the tac chs just put in Green and Red-1. One thing got to remember is that green is not just sheriff, they also dispatch for 5 or so other cities on that Freq.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
The reason for RED and GREEN South having great coverage is that the repeaters are on
Thorodin Mountain.

The North repeaters are at the "Mead" site which has a pattern that favors to the West.

Phil.

bwilborn

Awesome! Thanks guys. I do listen to the Tac and other stuff, I was really just curious about the RED and GREEN channels for this discussion. Good info!

-- B

FiremanSparky

Questions about monitoring the Peoples Republic

So, a follow-up. I have an Astro Saber 2R set up for receive only. My question is are Fire and LE utilizing the same repeaters? From where I monitor, LE will come in very clearly, while Fire will be scratchy ( example: Green South and Red-1 South). Or is it an example of differences between radio's themselves?

Thanks,
Frank

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
GREEN and RED-1 South do have different signal footprints. RED-1 South tends to be stronger to the East and North East while GREEN South is stronger to the East.

My understanding is both repeaters are on the same tower.

Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.