• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Questions for Michigan's CB'ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnlbrrg

I have a few questions for Michigan CB'ers. Before I ask, I would like to politely make a request. Everytime I ask a CB related question half the responses are hams saying "go get a ham ticket" or "ham is so much better because X." I want to know about CB specifically, nothing wrong with ham but that's not why I'm here.

Now, with that out of the way, my questions are:

1.- I know truckers monitor channel 19 while on the highway. Is there a heavily monitored channels while off the highway?

2.- I often pick up strangers on the radio and have brief conversations. I find it hard to strike up a conversation, most users seem not to care. Are there good ways to start up a conversation? Not necessarily about any particular topic, just to chit chat over the radio.

3.- What are some CB hot spots in West Michigan?

4.- While flipping through the channels I keep finding these Jamaican dudes repeating the same message over and over again on channels 5, 6, and sometimes 11. Hard to tell you what they say, but the signal comes in loud and clear and it's the same message in a loop. what's the deal with that?

I know, too many questions. Hopefully someone out there has all the answers.

freqs

This will I bet get moved to CB forum .But iam on the east side and CB is a kinda mess 1 3 19 and freeband is big over here.
I dont talk on it much just at work .I drive Tractor Trailer Trash Trucks and all our landfill use CB for Landfill ops the workers on the Dozers and packers will tell us where to dump and if we get stuck we can call the for help .They dont have the Company Radios (Nextels) in the equipment .
I still use CB on trips if you get away from the big Cities it is alot more like the old days just a few driver's talking .
The best way is just take some time find a channel that just normal guys are talking and jump in and say hey .Late nite seems to the better time to talk on CB all the jerks are off by them .Or by them they are to drunk to talk.

a2phil

I've just recently got back into CB, was really into it in the early '80s (before "everyone" got a linear or illegal powered radio and it got REALLY bad) From my experience thus far, stay on the SSB channels (above 35 or so), and talk late at night when most (if not all) of the idiots and drunks are off the air.

capten

Hi

Not too far away from you - about 2 hours south west near the Indiana border. CB around here is both rewarding and frustrating. I live about 4 miles away from a trucker bypass and like to monitor channel 19. I have had several short but good conversations, especially when they are asking for local directions. There are also a few local guys that I catch on channel 12 who are usually just hanging out in the evening,

The frustration comes from the morons that you mentioned on channels 6, 11, and sometimes 25. When they are on, they bleed over onto several adjacent channels. There area also some local operators with really bad splatter across several channels when they are on.

Overall, I tend to leave my CB turned off now and play with my scanner instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.