quick maybe dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyp7

Hello , In the database when I look for frequencies there is an (frequency) and a (input)
what is the differance sometimes its the same numbers some may be off such as
Frequency 453.350 Input 458.350
I quess which one do I need or do I need both if they are different.
thanks Gene

n4yek

You want the output frequency, the first one. The input frequency is just that, an input to the repeater. You can ignore that one.
If both frequencies are the same, that is a 'simplex' frequency, both transmit and receive are on the same frequency.

Last edited:

btritch

Sometimes such as in my area here the input is used as a talkaround frequency or repeater bypass frequency from car to car so that dispatch will not hear the conversation since they do not usually monitor this frequency... And it is also like what has been stated above, It's the input frequency..I wouldn't worry about putting the input in unless you're sure it's talkaround and even so it's just going to be mobile to mobile, 1/2 mile range at the most.. usually on scene talk around but like said, I wouldn't worry about it...I'd just put it the frequency one, let the input go..

hyp7

Ok thanks for the fast responces . Got one more question. The local fire dept. does a radio check , I hear them state.(fire dispatch radio check , then they say test on high band) then I hear nothing . so am I listening on the low band (154.445) ? there are no other frequencies that I have found. the test is pretty quick so is there a higher freq. I should try and find? The local police do the same but I only hear one test on the frequency.
any ideas. thanks again
Gene

n2mdk

The input can't be the talkaround frequency unless the repeater has a PL or DPL and it's turned off on the frequency if it's used as a talkaround. It's really a bad idea to do this in that it can cause an emergency communication not to be heard by blocking access to the repeater.
It actually makes much more sense to use a simplex frequency for talkaround sometimes it's the repeater output, but using the input is just a bad idea.

n4yek

hyp7 said:
Ok thanks for the fast responces . Got one more question. The local fire dept. does a radio check , I hear them state.(fire dispatch radio check , then they say test on high band) then I hear nothing . so am I listening on the low band (154.445) ? there are no other frequencies that I have found. the test is pretty quick so is there a higher freq. I should try and find? The local police do the same but I only hear one test on the frequency.
any ideas. thanks again
Gene
Most likely they have another frequency they use for pagers. My county dispatches ALL fire on one frequency, basically it is what the pagers are tuned too. When they get going in the vehicle's, then they will use the radios for communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.