• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quick question about SWR/Power meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC1

I have a neighbor that thinks his CB is not putting out the full 4 watts and asked if I can check it for him. All I have is a MFJ-844 144/440 SWR / Wattmeter for my dual band radios.

My question is: can I use the MFJ to check CB power output (only) even though the unit is designed for VHF/UHF? I am inclined to think it should work, I know the SWR will not be at all accurate - which he is not concerned about at this time.

I know a meter for CB is cheap and easy to get (NOT looking to buy one), but would like to know if the MFJ can be used to check the output power.

nd5y

You need a meter that is capable of the frequency and power level that you want to measure. A VHF/UHF meter will not be accurate at HF.

NC1

So the frequency is going to give me an erroneous output power level? I am at a loss as to how that works. Could you please explain?

I may be a bit naive here, but I would think a 12v car battery would measure the same as a 12v lantern battery.
It is RF energy that I am measuring, which I believe is independent of frequency and does not know if it is HF or UHF, am I correct?
It's not like using a Volt meter set for DC when trying to measure AC line voltage.

I'm just having a little trouble understanding your answer.

nd5y

Measuring RF power is not the same as measuring DC voltage and current. SWR meters and wattmeters are designed with RF components that only work well for specific frequency ranges.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ideally you should be using a decent 50Ω load.

And I agree, the 144MHz SWR meter is going to have an error at 27MHz. You could test with a known good CB and get a reasonable idea of how much off it is.

NC1

Measuring RF power is not the same as measuring DC voltage and current. SWR meters and wattmeters are designed with RF components that only work well for specific frequency ranges.

I am more than aware that RF is not the same as DC voltage, and I am not checking for SWR. I know the SWR is frequency dependent, but was unsure if RF power was.

NC1

Ideally you should be using a decent 50Ω load.

And I agree, the 144MHz SWR meter is going to have an error at 27MHz. You could test with a known good CB and get a reasonable idea of how much off it is.

The only way I can measure is under a 50Ω load, whether it be an antenna or dummy. Again, I am NOT checking for SWR, but only the RF power output of the CB radio. It is the CB radio that needs to be tested for 4w output, so checking with a different CB would kind of defeat the purpose.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You need to check the forward power, which is basically the RF power output from the radio into a 50Ω load.
If your antenna is a perfect 50Ω match, then it will work fine. If it's not, then a 50Ω dummy load will give you more accuracy.

The reason I suggested testing with another known good radio is to determine what a 4 watt transmitter at 27MHz will look like on a 144MHz rated SWR meter. There will be an error, as in a true 4 watts will not show as 4 watts on your SWR meter. Knowing what that error is will be useful.

Once you know what the error is, test the suspect radio the same way and compare the readings. If it shows the same as your known good radio, then you can be reasonably sure it's putting out something pretty close to 4 watts.

If you are concerned about accuracy, then using an SWR meter that is not designed for the frequency you are testing is not going to give you good results.

Trying to be helpful here, but maybe I'm not explaining it in a way that's coming across right.

prcguy

Most real wattmeters have a directional coupler as part of the RF pickup and the internal dimensions of the coupler along with some other parameters determine its usable frequency range. A directional coupler designed for VHF through UHF would generally have less coupling at 27Mhz and give a lower wattmeter reading.

You can be certain if a piece of equipment could operate satisfactorily from 27MHz to 450MHz they would advertise that. The fact its only rated for 144-440MHz tells me it probably barely works across that range.

So the frequency is going to give me an erroneous output power level? I am at a loss as to how that works. Could you please explain?

I may be a bit naive here, but I would think a 12v car battery would measure the same as a 12v lantern battery.
It is RF energy that I am measuring, which I believe is independent of frequency and does not know if it is HF or UHF, am I correct?
It's not like using a Volt meter set for DC when trying to measure AC line voltage.

I'm just having a little trouble understanding your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.