• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quick removeable anti-theft slide mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Anyone using any type of quick removable anti-theft slide mount for their scanners like what was so popular with CB'ers back in the 70's? I remember the biggest drawback was the antenna connection, due to being a transmitter and poor SWR, less of a concern with scanners.

I live in what I consider to be an up scale area that some might think would have a low crime rate, but criminals are getting smarter these days and doing their dirty work where the payoffs are greater. Smash and grabs from vehicles left outside at night are ripe for the picking and your gear is not safe if in full view during daylight hours. When I look at some of these elaborate vehicle installations, I'd be interested as to how you are immune to theft?

pb_lonny

It would be close to 15 years since I have had a scanner installed in my car, these days I use a handheld which I take in and out as I need to. The risk of keeping anything expensive in a car these days is too high.

RFI-EMI-GUY

There were a number of quick disconnect brackets sold decades ago Gamber Johnson was one. They were very clunky even when attached to a 1980's vintage radio like a Maxar 80.

For a radio like the BC536HP that is DIN sized, you might find a DIN quick release mount that you can install in your dash.

Better yet, devise some sort of hideaway door or cover so that a thief will not see the radio from outside the vehicle in the first place.

The best protection is not to draw attention to your car when parking. If you are seen putting stuff under the seat or in the trunk when you park, you will be a target.

The antenna is another issue. Try to replicate a broadcast antenna or shark fin that are common today. Or put the antenna in the parcel shelf at the rear window and cover with a hat.

DJ11DLN

It would be close to 15 years since I have had a scanner installed in my car, these days I use a handheld which I take in and out as I need to. The risk of keeping anything expensive in a car these days is too high.

This is likely the best way to go, unless you had one of the removable-front Whistlers. That may be in the future for me but for now I just use HH scanners in a deep phone holder that grips them well. Unplug and toss in the glove compartment when I'm parking somewhere, carry it inside when I get home. I don't worry about the antenna. If they can't see a radio in there they would (hopefully) be less likely to break in, and if they're looking for other stuff and the radio would just be a bonus for the thugs, they'd likely break in whether you had an obvious aftermarket antenna or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.