Quick video setting up Quick Keys 436/536

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I had a few PM's on how to setup Quick Keys in Sentinel. I decided to put a quick video together that shows you how I configured my radio and to point out a few things to look for before you upload to your new scanner. I am by no means an expert but so far my profile/favorites is working as it should. I hope this helps some of you with questions.

Note: Make sure you have the services tags turned on for those you want to monitor. As I pointed out in my other video, those channels will not show up if you don't have the correct tags selected.

Sentinel Quick Keys - YouTube

If you watch, view in full screen. I forgot to record in HD, my bad. Also I may have made a mistake here and there but I think you get the idea.

Last edited:

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Brilliant! Great job on this video. One question: is there any advantage to deselecting unused Quick Keys? I was going to leave them checked because I figured if they weren't assigned to anything it wouldn't matter either way.

Thanks!
Laura

wise871

Database Admin
It won't do any harm but when I look at my display I know if I have something programed by either a * or a -.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Cool video. I'm planning to get one the 436. I was wondering how many alpha letters can you program into the 436/536?

wise871

Database Admin
Bravo
I found with the 536 you can get between 26 and 32 alpha letters before you get......
On the 436 you will be able to have more seeing it uses two lines for System, Department, and Channel. I'll have the 436 next week and I will know then.

On the first night I was able to pick up Bay County and it sounded great. I'm sure the 436 will be perfect for you with the record, replay and onboard database to help you find and ID new talk groups in the area.
Dan

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Very nice, thanks! One question as a New Uniden user (used RS/GRE till now), what exactly is hold time? I'm assuming it's not the same as delay time as there's a separate place for that.

wise871

Database Admin
Hold time is how long you want it to hold on that system, department or site before it moves on too the next one. Delays stay on certain channels for so much time. You can set both.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Dan, having a hard time wrapping my head around Unidens method of doing things compared to my Pro-106 (old dog, new tricks thing I guess). With it you just dump in what you want and it works, Here you have to check multiple settings in different locations, make sure this is selected, make sure that is enabled, seems a bit convoluted, but your video helped :)

wise871

Database Admin
Thanks Dan, having a hard time wrapping my head around Unidens method of doing things compared to my Pro-106 (old dog, new tricks thing I guess). With it you just dump in what you want and it works, Here you have to check multiple settings in different locations, make sure this is selected, make sure that is enabled, seems a bit convoluted, but your video helped :)

Trust me it will get easier. We've all been there. I remember when I picked up my first Pro-197. Object Memory management confused me.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Cool video. I'm planning to get one the 436. I was wondering how many alpha letters can you program into the 436/536?

The manual says that every bit of alpha-tagable data can be 64 characters max... :wink:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Bravo
I found with the 536 you can get between 26 and 32 alpha letters before you get......
On the 436 you will be able to have more seeing it uses two lines for System, Department, and Channel. I'll have the 436 next week and I will know then.

On the first night I was able to pick up Bay County and it sounded great. I'm sure the 436 will be perfect for you with the record, replay and onboard database to help you find and ID new talk groups in the area.
Dan

Cool Thanks Dan. I have my psr800 as a desktop recording new ID found a few just waiting for a few months before I hear any talking.

I was thinking getting the 536 since I have the psr800 unit.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
One thing I see as an issue, I load my local counties and state info into favorites (I like to be able to turn full counties on and off), and end up with a boatload of duplicates. My statewide fireground channel for instance, I only need it scanned once per cycle, but with end up with like 15 instances of it from different counties and towns.

wise871

Database Admin
If your seeing duplicates in your favorites, than you can remove them. Not sure I understand your question. Favorites allow you to make adjustments to your liking. If you simply downloaded from the master list to your favorites, then editing them will fix the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.