Qusetion about my new 500 - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch40n1k

I was just logging a couple of P25 800MHz towers with my pro-96 and Pro96Com. Decode receive rate was awesome ... everything working great.

I then connected my PSR-500 to the SAME ANTENNA,(On my roof) and can't receive any of the sites I was just receiving with my Pro-96. What's the deal? I hit the "TUNE" button, type in the control channel of the site ... but can't decode the signal ... or even hear it for that matter. I can receive and decode other, closer sites, but not the ones I was logging with my 96.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Did you try the attenuator or try using the duck antenna supplied with the radio?

ch40n1k

DaveIN said:
Did you try the attenuator or try using the duck antenna supplied with the radio?

I'm using an excellent discone that is on my roof ... it pretty much destroys anything I would ever get out of the duck with these particular sites ... they are far from my location. Like I said ... the 96 with the same antenna picks these sites up fine.

The attenuation ... not sure ... how does one go about changing the attenuation ... like say with win500?

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
From Win500, select the TSYS, next to the dwell setting, click the ATT box, save the template, upload to your radio.

To set it manually, PROG, EDIT, TSYS, EDIT, scroll down to expert below, arrow right on Atten: to set it to ON, Save.

Just a note about the antenna system. It may be great for butyour PRO-96, but the PSR-500/600 is extremely sensitive an prone to front end overload from strong nearby signals and may need an antenna with less gain.

ch40n1k

DaveIN said:
From Win500, select the TSYS, next to the dwell setting, click the ATT box, save the template, upload to your radio.

To set it manually, PROG, EDIT, TSYS, EDIT, scroll down to expert below, arrow right on Atten: to set it to ON, Save.

Just a note about the antenna system. It may be great for butyour PRO-96, but the PSR-500/600 is extremely sensitive an prone to front end overload from strong nearby signals and may need an antenna with less gain.

I have noticed that it's sensitive and have seen some front end overload ... I was able to press the "Mode" button a couple of times and get the radio to log the same sites. DOH!

Instant gratification ... if I can't have it ... awww never mind. ;) Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.