• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

R30 performance with simulcast?

kc5igh

I know the R30 isn't designed to track trunked systems, but has anybody tried to monitor P25 simulcast signals with it?

If so, how did it do?

Thanks for sharing any observations!

Citywide173

I have monitored the RISCON-Providence system with it in the middle of Providence and it did better than my 996XT and not as good as my G5

kc5igh

I have monitored the RISCON-Providence system with it in the middle of Providence and it did better than my 996XT and not as good as my G5
Thanks for the information, Citywide173. I suspected that would be the case.

My G5 and SDS100 can't be beat for monitoring simulcast systems, but I've been thinking about buying an R30 some day, and I'm looking for any justification I can find for doing so.

I really like Icom radios (I've had the R1, R100, R2, R5, R6, and R20 in my arsenal), and I'm intrigued with the R30.

Have a good day!

-Johnnie

kc5igh

Mine seems to do better than my Uniden 436.
I think they've done just about all they can for the '436 when it comes to simulcast reception, but it ultimately boils down to hardware. The R30 must have a better front end, and I wonder what that might be . . . filters, digital signal processor?

bearcatrp

I think they've done just about all they can for the '436 when it comes to simulcast reception, but it ultimately boils down to hardware. The R30 must have a better front end, and I wonder what that might be . . . filters, digital signal processor?
Whatever they did, they did it right. Am enjoying mine.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
My R30 works as well as my sds100 here in Cincinnati on the MarcsIP system. I am very pleased with the audio, no simulcast distortion at all. If someone came up with a way to add alpha tags to the tg Id I would be extremely happy.