R30 R30 & RT Systems Communication problem, Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
So I finally splurged & got the ICOM R30. Also got RT Systems SW. I downloaded & installed the driver from ICOM . In the radio, I went into: MENU>FUNCTION>CIV>CIV Baud Rate and set it to Auto. Then: Menu> Function> CIV> CIV Transceive and turned that on. The CIV address is set to 9C, I did not change that.
My desktop is Win 7 64 bit. In the device manager the R30 shows "ICR30 Serial Port (COM20). Device status shows "This device is working properly". Under Port Settings it shows:
Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None

I'm using the USB cable that came with the radio. I open up RT Sys SW > Communications> Get data from radio. Follow the instructions in the pop up box: Turn radio off, insert USB cable, Turn radio on and click OK to receive data. After about 30 seconds, a communication error box pops up and says: "Could not find a valid baud rate".

I've been at this for HOURS and can't make it work. Any pointers greatly appreciated. Please keep it simple, as I'm a dumb a$$ when it comes to bits & bytes. I think manufacturers need to take some lessons about their products being USER FRIENDLY. Not everyone out there is a computer wiz.

Thanks,
Bob
N2OAM

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies! The RT systems updater says all files are up to date. I'm not a social media type, so I can't view the facebook link.

Hit_Factor

Menu
Function
USB Connect
Serialport

Change to the other modes as need.

The settings you were working with are for remote control of an Icom radio.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Kenwood TH-D74 Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

Hit_Factor

Unplug r30 from computer.

Go to device manager in computer, delete any com port that seems like the r30.

Plug r30 back into computer.

Watch device manager for new USB or com port. Delete the new one.

Scan for new devices using cfc device manager.

Try using the rt systems to read the r30.

It isn't supposed to be this hard.

Does the r30 indicate usb-com at top left?

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Kenwood TH-D74 Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

Hit_Factor

If still no luck, call RT Systems, they will walk you through the steps over the phone.

73, K8HIT

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
With the R30 unplugged, there is no reference to the radio in Device drivers >Ports (Com & LPT). When I connect the radio to the computer, It shows the IC-R30 serial port (Com 20). If I right click on it, I get the following options:
Update driver SW
Disable
Uninstall
Scan for hardware changes
Properties

You want me uninstall it, then scan for new devices?

Before I do any of this, I am seeing USB-COM in the upper corner of the screen on the R30.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on your new receiver. Am still learning mine. I haven’t got any software yet so inputting the old fashion way. Will be watching this thread so if I get the software I’ll be ready. I have same OS as you so hope you get it figured out. Maybe try changing baud rate.

Hit_Factor

Yes, uninstall.

Baud rate shouldn't make a difference, that's a virtual com port.

Put everything back to factory defaults, those are listed in the manual, in regards to baud rate and such.

Did you upgrade the firmware for the r30? If not, do that as well. It's on the Icom site.

73, K8HIT

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Tried everything, still no joy. Called RT Systems late Friday and they said I would get a call back @ 1100 hrs on Monday. Got the call just before 11. Problem fixed in less than 15 minutes. Was a com port conflict. The R30 originally came up on com port 20. They changed it to com 30 & all was well. jpeg shows the com ports after the problem was solved. Not sure why all those virtual serial ports are there, but at least I can play with my new toy.
Thanks to all who responded!

Bob
N2OAM

Attachments

• IMG_5930.JPG
    IMG_5930.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 48

Hit_Factor

Thanks for posting your solution.

73, K8HIT

Status
Not open for further replies.