R30 tone scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
The title pretty much sums it up. I’m scanning via program scan and I cannot figure out how to have the radio perform a tone search once it’s found a busy freq.. The basic manual says to read the advanced manual and 5he advanced manual points me right back to the basic manual.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
In the MR scan group and the P Scan group at the bottom of the list there is a tone selection. Pause the radio on a channel and hit the scan button, scroll to the end to tone then hit the scan button again.

tazz

After several hours of pushing buttons and banging my head on the wall, I was able to figure it out. It wasn't easy though.

Just for the fun of it I sent Icom tech support an email asking them about the tone scan and advising them the conflict in the basic and advanced user manuals on how to access it.

Here's what they wrote me back today saying............

Response By Email (Fred) (07/09/2018 02:53 PM)
Earl,

We cannot determine how to do a tone scan. We have asked engineering in Japan for additional information.
We have also advised them on the conflict of the Instruction manual.

Regards,

Fred Varian - WD5ERD
IA Technical Support

ICOM America Inc.
12421 Willows Rd. NE
Kirkland, WA 98034

IA Technical Support 800-253-1498
Icom America

It's really bad when you produce a radio and tech support knows nothing on how to operate it.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Isn’t that crazy!?! Now that I’ve done it a couple of times it has, obviously, become easier, but it is in no way intuitive.
One thing I don’t understand is why the radio cannot display the frequency at the same time it’s performing a tone search. Seems to be a couple of steps back technologically.

tazz

Yea, I totally agree. Seems like they would make the feature more user friendly. I have no trouble doing a tone scan on my Icom IC-R6 and Icom IC-R20.

I think they need to go back to the drawing board on this feature and, go back and fix the mistakes on both of the user manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.