RACOM MadisonPD/SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro92

Plans are in the works for a new radio system for Madison PD/FD/ and Sheriff covering Madsion, Stanton County & Tilden. Racom was @ the Madison Court House last week demo there equipment . If Madsion does go w/ RACOM it will be towards the end of summer. It's unknown about Public Works. My neighbor who works for Norfolk PD said they are happy w/ the system they have now and have no plans changing.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Pro92 said:
Racom was @ the Madison Court House last week demo there equipment.

So in other words they were just showing off some newer radio models? (Trying to make a sale).

Pro92 said:
If Madsion does go w/ RACOM it will be towards the end of summer.

Summer of what year?

Pro92 said:
It's unknown about Public Works

Yup, don't forget Mr. Plow in the mix!

Pro92 said:
My neighbor who works for Norfolk PD said they are happy w/ the system they have now and have no plans changing.

Oh, so your neighbor who just happens to be a cop with the city of Norfolk, who probably doesn't get a say at all in any kind of radio communication infrastructure decisions, thinks the current system is adequate and they're happy with it, even though Racom is showing some new equipment, so odds are their getting a few new portables instead the hand-me-down-ones from 1982.

Pro92

NeFire242 said:
So in other words they were just showing off some newer radio models? (Trying to make a sale).

Summer of what year?

Yup, don't forget Mr. Plow in the mix!

Oh, so your neighbor who just happens to be a cop with the city of Norfolk, who probably doesn't get a say at all in any kind of radio communication infrastructure decisions, thinks the current system is adequate and they're happy with it, even though Racom is showing some new equipment, so odds are their getting a few new portables instead the hand-me-
down-ones from 1982.
He used to be on the streets, but now he's doing light duty.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
What does the department consider light duty in Norfolk?

Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen if the department allows an officer back to work performing any tasks if they are not fully released by a physician and able to perform their duties as detailed in the job description.

Pro92

Pro92 said:
Last i heard from MPD they are going w/ Wayne, Stanton & Madison but it will be not TRS it will be regular 800MHz like NFD.

Pro92

Madison PD

Pro92 said:
The new radio system will be on 800MHz Analog according to Police Cheif , like NFD so they can communicate w/ Tilen/Wayne & Stanton.
Which Stanton is all ready to make the switch unknow about Pierce County & PD.
It will take effect @ the end of this summer if the budget passes.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
That's going to take a lot of work to get some decent coverage with some of the areas around for them to use conventional 800MHz.

Pro92

NeFire242 said:
What does the department consider light duty in Norfolk?

Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen if the department allows an officer back to work performing any tasks if they are not fully released by a physician and able to perform their duties as detailed in the job description.
LIKE I SAID THIS SUMMER '06

W0JJK

I have to agree with NeFire242 that 800 is going to take over twice the sites that UHF or VHF would take to get the same coverage. I find it crazy that rural governments are forgetting about UHF and VHF conventional. The buzz word of this time is interop and you can achieve that on those two bands. It is just going to waste the tax payers of those counties money to go with 800 conventional because everyone around is on VHF, UHF or Lowband and it will take more sites=more money. Then if you want to interop on RACOM for NPD, they may charge air time fees. There goes your interop with other counties.

I also agree that you should move everyone in your county to atleast the same freq range so you can talk to them if needed. You never know when the Snow Plow driver is needed by the Police or Fire.

KC0LOD

Last edited:

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
They probably won't realize how fast a fee of like $15 a radio per month would add up, especially when everyone is going to want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.