• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Affiliations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
I had a good laugh reading a thread about a guy programming a trunking radio to monitor a system, which ended up getting him jammed up. Guy was trying to monitor only but the radio ended up affiliating with the system and that was the end of that.

Having said that..... if a standard cdm/ht 1250 or similar model is monitoring a conventional system in RX only mode, does that present an issue even remotely similar to affiliating with a trunked radio system? For example, if a mobile radio in town A’s squad car is monitoring town B’s frequency, would there be any way to tell how many users there were that were actively monitoring that given frequency?

RFI-EMI-GUY

I had a good laugh reading a thread about a guy programming a trunking radio to monitor a system, which ended up getting him jammed up. Guy was trying to monitor only but the radio ended up affiliating with the system and that was the end of that.

Having said that..... if a standard cdm/ht 1250 or similar model is monitoring a conventional system in RX only mode, does that present an issue even remotely similar to affiliating with a trunked radio system? For example, if a mobile radio in town A’s squad car is monitoring town B’s frequency, would there be any way to tell how many users there were that were actively monitoring that given frequency?

Only via "social engineering". Say town B dispatcher sends a bunch of their units into a remote corner of Town A and Town B's squads show up.

W

W4ZMJ

That's the problem people programing radios to not affiliate with a site don't know what they doing if that red light on that Motorola starts to flicker you got a problem best thing to do when programing it and you have doubt when programing I always set the radio id number to 1 it shouldn't cause a problem with an operator on the system but you need to fix it if it try's to but you need to check and make sure what you done wrong to stop it

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
That's the problem people programing radios to not affiliate with a site don't know what they doing if that red light on that Motorola starts to flicker you got a problem best thing to do when programing it and you have doubt when programing I always set the radio id number to 1 it shouldn't cause a problem with an operator on the system but you need to fix it if it try's to but you need to check and make sure what you done wrong to stop it

uhhh.....gotcha

fineshot1

While there is a hand shake with LTR and Passport trunking there is NO affiliation like in a smart zone trunking or P25 systems.
CDM's and HT 1250's cannot do smart zone or P25 trunking so your post itself is in question.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
While there is a hand shake with LTR and Passport trunking there is NO affiliation like in a smart zone trunking or P25 systems.
CDM's and HT 1250's cannot do smart zone or P25 trunking so your post itself is in question.

I’m not sure what you mean by the “post is in question” part but you answered my question and I thank you. I was asking if conventional set ups have radios that can “affiliate” in any way like trunked systems do.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Analog conventional systems as would be accessible to a CDM/HT1250 type radio typically do not have any kind of registration server, and therefore typically nothing in the way of registration bursts to the system.

Multicast / vote-scan P25 conventional networks often do; larger ones as are used by many federal agencies operate the same type of cores as trunked systems and therefore maintain many of the same databases and core services despite delivering them over conventional architecture, including site access or radio profile information that may require a radio to register to the system to be handled properly.

A more complete answer, I hope.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Analog conventional systems as would be accessible to a CDM/HT1250 type radio typically do not have any kind of registration server, and therefore typically nothing in the way of registration bursts to the system.

Multicast / vote-scan P25 conventional networks often do; larger ones as are used by many federal agencies operate the same type of cores as trunked systems and therefore maintain many of the same databases and core services despite delivering them over conventional architecture, including site access or radio profile information that may require a radio to register to the system to be handled properly.

A more complete answer, I hope.

Thanks for this explanation, much appreciated

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Radio ID of 1....LMFAO. I could guarantee my guys would brick that in a min. Hint....Don’t use a console ID either.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Radio ID of 1....LMFAO. I could guarantee my guys would brick that in a min. Hint....Don’t use a console ID either.

Don't you hate the guys that bootleg a backup consolette ID?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
GenWatch is great. A certain County admin found a duplicate ID because the legit radio affiliated to one site and the unauthorized radio affiliated to a different site 15 minutes later. And as it was said to me...unless he was in a helicopter, that distance couldn’t be covered in that timeframe. So the legit radio was brought in, given an new ID and the stun command was sent away.

What’s interesting is that most system admins are radio euthiasts just like you and me. Most would love if Motorola built in RX only feature without affiliation. BK radio does it. So does Harris.

W

W4ZMJ

instead of using id of 1 what do you suggest the point is not to affiliate with a system to begin with

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I would suggest a radio that allows you to monitor without affiliating at all, such as a BK Radio KNG2-P800. But for half that cost you can buy a Unication G4.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
IF a radio is properly set up for NAS it wont need an ID as it should have no way to affiliate and therefore send out an ID .

slicerwizard

Of course there is. As PassPort radios roam between sites, they announce their presence and what talkgroup they're sitting on. That's a registration/affiliation. If they didn't, the system couldn't feed their talkgroup's audio to the various sites or support private calls.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
IF a radio is properly set up for NAS it wont need an ID as it should have no way to affiliate and therefore send out an ID .

The code plug must have something plugged into the unit id field in the trunking system and trunking personality. Unless you're just scanning channels in conventional mode, you need to properly program the codeplug with the trunking system, including id.

If you've done NAS properly, it doesn't matter what the id is, the system will never see it, but the codeplug's gotta have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.