• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio drawer in trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
What do you guys think of installing a drawer in the trunk of your car to keep all your radio gear safe when you install in back there.

I was thinking of going with this in my trunk to hold 2 WS1095s, a ham with remote head and a CB with remote mic control and a fuse block with ground and maybe a battery setup to help out with voltage drop when starting my car.

I know it will be a tight fit, but I’m thinking with some stacking and a bracket or two, it could be done. I was also going to use some angle adapters on the speaker and antenna cables to help things fit as well.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Instead of a drawer, why not something like the sliding trays that is open on all sides for better ventilation?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What do you guys think of installing a drawer in the trunk of your car to keep all your radio gear safe when you install in back there.

Make sure longer remote cables are doable/available or you can make them. Also check if there is a length limitation for proper operation. I'm thinking mostly about the remote CB microphone. It would have to be shielded as well.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Here's an old photo of one of our CrownVic's at work:
vaXUPQs.jpg

Wider shelf than what you need, but makes working on them a whole lot easier. I'd look at doing something similar, suspended under the package shelf rather than in a box.
In the box, I'd be a bit concerned about heat buildup. Trying to cram a bunch of radios in there might be an issue.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I’ve looked around and found some on eBay, but they are just too large. I drive a 2011 Ford Fiesta and they do not have a lot of room ANYWHERE. LOL

I should be ok on the radio cables because they include extensions with them and the box I’m looking at is open topped because it’s designed to go under a work bench, so heat can also dissipate . I was also going to install under the rear deck because there isn’t any other place to put it really.

It’s going to be
2 WS1095s
Icom ID-5100
Uniden CMX760 (rarely used)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've mounted RF decks under the package shelf using the stock brackets. Keeping wiring neat and out of the way will prevent damage.
I've seen people build shelves using painted plywood and some hardware store brackets to suspend it under the package shelf.

If you pull the trunk liner back from the walls, you can sometimes find void space where equipment can be mounted.

Lots of options if you get some ideas to start with. Doesn't need to be overly complicated.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
That was the plan. I want to try to keep every tight and out of the way. The trunk space is small, so things get packed tight sometimes and I don’t want anything damaged. Plus it will allow me easy access to the gear if I need to make changes or update stuff on the radios.

Using plywood was my original idea but due to some odd design choices, there isn’t much space width wise, plus a combination of weak woodworking skills and lack of shop space make home building it impossible.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
As a reference, here’s what the trunk looks like

Attachments

• 3AE8C745-D97D-4892-9E70-DB177A610632.jpeg
    3AE8C745-D97D-4892-9E70-DB177A610632.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 252
Status
Not open for further replies.