Radio Frequency License

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty12122

Hello Folks,

I'm wondering if it is possible that I could register a frequency with Industry Canada, and how much it would cost to go about doing so. (In the 136 - 174 mhz VHF range.) I am not interested in getting an "Amateur Radio" license.

I would like to use it for biking and hiking with the family in the woods and on the local trails.

On their registration page, There are a few fields that I am unsure to what to fill in , or if obtaining a license for a use such as this is even permitted.
(https://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/account_create$profile_request.create_profile)

Fields That I am unsure of:

"Web Profile Description (for your own use)"
"Describe the intended use of your radio systems (e.g., taxi, construction, etc.)"

Thanks,
Jd

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You should probably just call Industry Canada and get the answers to your questions straight from the horse's mouth. I'm sure they've got a toll free number you could use.

I'm pretty sure once you figure out all the costs for the licence and radios, you'd be farther ahead using GMRS or FRS radios.

thomas724

To the original OP maybe in the future you can say where you are located. Now, on to your query. You do Not need a licence to have and transmit on Gmrs or Frs. Only difference up here is that one cannot set up a repeater. I also believe and maybe somebody else can chime in here.You would go to a radio dealer who would sell you a radio or 2 in the band you want. There is a tiny slice for low power radios just after the 2M ham band and before Marine and Railways ie 151.000 They then give you the licence application to fill out as for the cost cant help there. Also be advised that you will be sharing this frequency with others in congested areas. This is what I would do if I were you. Locate a Motorola dealer then email your question to them. They will tell you the proper procedure
Hope this helps
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.