Radio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Heard Goosetown testing on Paramus PD’s main dispatch channel today, sounds like they were having major issues with PD 1 earlier in the day.

I noticed that their channel 1 has a significant squelch tail from some portables or mobiles during transmission. Is this done purposely or is that just equipment not operating smoothly with each other?

Squelch tails are typically things that depend on subscriber equipment (user radios). In some radios, there is a "reverse burst" for about 100 mS, a loss of CTCSS tone, or in DPL, an end of message sequence that tells the receiver in the repeater to mute up faster than if it weren't there. Some radios, especially lower-end ones, don't generate any of that, so the repeater takes a while to squelch back up after a transmission. If the squelch were tightened up, it wouldn't be as noticeable. And sometimes the repeater's transmitter can feed back into the receiver if there is intermod, water in the coax, duplexers with tuning issues, etc. That could hold the receiver open longer than someone has transmitted. So, if Goosetown is working on it, they'll probably take care of whatever is going on.

Was a bad antenna on PD-1 - an ongoing issue which amplified the ridiculous interference from Newark PD on analog and White Plains on P25.
White Plains is using P25? They're licensed for DMR on that frequency - and - they are only an FB2, which means that the system has no exclusivity. They "have to" monitor for channel activity and remove the channel from trunking availability when someone else within range is using it. An FB8 doesn't, but I wouldn't expect any system to be able to license that anywhere in NJ/NY. I always use back home as the ultimate example of congestion.

About the only thing that can work in that environment is low-height, low-gain antenna, and lots of sites, all simulcast, with lots of voting receivers on the input.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
White Plains is using P25? They're licensed for DMR on that frequency - and - they are only an FB2, which means that the system has no exclusivity. They "have to" monitor for channel activity and remove the channel from trunking availability when someone else within range is using it. An FB8 doesn't, but I wouldn't expect any system to be able to license that anywhere in NJ/NY. I always use back home as the ultimate example of congestion.

About the only thing that can work in that environment is low-height, low-gain antenna, and lots of sites, all simulcast, with lots of voting receivers on the input.

White Plains PD is on Conventional P-25 for some time now. You may be thinking of the DPW single site DMR system.

Reactions: 902
Status
Not open for further replies.