Radio Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

twexzer

Premium Subscriber
Interested to hear about how your radio traffic goes, where ever you are.
I am in Northampton, MA.

A police dispatch generally goes as follows:

Dispatcher: "Dispatch to 170"
Officer #170: "170" or "Go 'head"
Dispatcher: "170, respond to 137 main street for a 2 car MVC, with airbag deployment, unknown injuries. I'm starting EMS."
Officer #170: "Recieved"
[wait for arrival of PD]
Officer #170: "170 Dispatch"
Dispatcher: "170"
Officer #170 "I'll be 9-7" (On scene)
Dispatcher "Recieved"

A fire/EMS dispatch generally goes as follows:

Dispatcher Computer: [tone]
Dispatcher: "Attention A4, A4 respond, 137 main street, for a 2 car MVC, unknown injuries. I have PD en-route"
[about a minute passes]
Ambulence A4: "Fire Alarm from A4"
Dispatcher: "Fire alarm is on, A4"
Ambulence A4: "A4 is on the air for detail, 137 main street"
Dispatcher: "Fire alarm recieved, A4, on the air for detail at 16:35. PD on scene advises one party reporting back and neck pain.
[wait for arrival]
Ambulence A4: "Fire alarm from A4"
Dispatcher: "Fire alarm is on, A4"
Ambulence A4: "A4 on scene with PD, 137 main st"
Dispatcher: "Fire alarm recieved A4, on scene, 16:40"

n4yek

Police:
Dispatcher:
"700 to 710"

Officer:

Dispatcher:
Steve, you better head over to Molly's in Chicken Hollow. She said her Pa caught her and Earl in the barn again and he is after him with the shot gun.

Officer:
OK, I'm on my way.

My area uses very little 10-codes, they speak plain language. (The above isn't an actual transmission. just for laughs. They would say domestic dispute)

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

I recently left municipal law enforcement. Feds have been trying to eliminate the 10 codes while preferring plain english. If the call was of a sensitive nature, county would request us to call in via cell or landline.

Too many neighboring jurisdictions had their own version of 10 codes. I never liked them and would maybe use only a select few when it made more sense to make a brief transmission.

Mr. Harp's posting is entirely correct, and I have had darn near the same call on more than one occasion.

Earl just should marry the girl and get it over with.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
On the radios I play nice & use the detested plain language. Normal conversations the other 99.9% of life, emails, texts, FB & anywhere else but on the radio I use the 10 codes anytime they can be used. Much simpler & quicker.

As far as the radio transmissions as per the topic. We were better off pre-911 when we had local dispatch centers. This county center we have now is a complete joke. I wouldn't even want the rest of the world knowing how poorly it runs.

fasteddy64

Our department (Abilene Fire) uses 100% plain language, no 10 codes.
PD is all Pro-Voice and they still use 10 codes.
Old habits die hard I guess.

The fun part is when the dispatcher forgets who they are talking to and give us 10 code traffic. we have no idea what they are talking about.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
TAMPA PD
Dispatcher: Charlie1.
Charlie1: Charlie1 go.
Dispatcher: Copy a Signal 4 with injuries, 137 Main Street, 137 Main, grid 223, break. Two vehicle Signal 4, it's 10-39 to fire. (Message delivered)
Charlie1: Charlie1 10-51. (Enroute)
Dispatcher: 1623 time.

TAMPA FR
*Long steady tone*
Dispatcher: Engine8, Rescue8, BLS... traffic accident, 137 Main Street at 1623 hours.

HILLSBOROUGH SO
*Short steady tone*
Dispatcher: Attention Alpha1 zone... Alpha11 and AI1 are dispatched to a Signal 3, 137 Main Street, 137 Main. County fire is 10-51.
1Alpha11: 1Alpha11 10-51. (Zone unit)
AI1: AI1 10-51. (Accident investigator)
Dispatcher: 1623 hours.

HILLSBOROUGH FR
Dispatcher: Engine14, Rescue14... respond to a traffic accident, box 901, 137 Main Street at 1623.

stevelton

Our county sheriff dept goes something like this:

Officer: "Wayne County, 96-6"
County: "96-6 Go Ahead"
Officer: "Traffic Stop on Highway 45 just south of Geff, on a red Ford f-150, 10-28 Illinois Truck Plate 1 2 2 A Adam B Boy, 122 Adam Boy."
County: "10-4, IL truck 122 AB, Clear, Valid, Registered to John Smith of Rural Fairfield"
Officer: "10-4, copy a 27, 29 by name when your ready"
"Go ahead"
"Last name Smith, S Sam, M Mary, I Ida, T Tom, H Henry, first name John, Common spelling, DOB 11-27-91"
"Smith, John, DOB 11-27-91 Clear valid, No convictions, 1 stop last 12 for 11-601"
"10-4, Im 10-8, verbal for lane usage"
"10-4"

stevelton

And Our County ARES goes something like this:

Field Unit: "Control, KC9GMX"

Dispatch: "GMX, Control, Go Ahead"

Field Unit: "Control, GMX, I will be changing my location, show me going south on Enterprise road from 161, heading towards Fairfield.

Dispatch: "KC9GMX, copy, please advise when you are stationary"

"Copy, KC9GMX'

"KC9UDP"

"Control, KC9GMX Emergency Traffic"
"GMX Go"
"Funnel cloud near the intersection of county road 1300 north, and Enterprise road, appears to be moving
east."
"Copy, does it appear to be on the ground?"
"I cant tell from my location"
"What is your location?"
"Enterprise road and county road 1600 north"
"KC9GMX, copy, advise if you see any power line flashes"
"Will do, KC9GMX"

* 2 second 1000hz Advisory Tone*
"ARES units, Wayne county, KC9GMX reporting a funnel cloud near Enterprise road and county road 1300 north, moving east. Units east of Enterprise road, be advised.

"KC9GMX, Control, National Weather Service has been notified"
"Thanks, KC9GMX clear"
"KC9UDP"

Status
Not open for further replies.