Radio Shack PRO-650

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a cheap RS PRO 650 off eBay for $20 with a known problem. The seller stated that it wouldn't receive anything. I got it home, and it certainly wouldn't receive- not even the weather channel or a local trunked control channel. 80% of the time the antenna jack needs to be re-soldered and all is well. I opened it up, and it all looks great. Nothing looks tampered with and the antenna jack is perfectly soldered to the board. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this thing is totally deaf? If I am out $20, then so be it- but it would be nice to take a stab at getting it working again.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let's apply a little logic - can you enter a frequency and it shows up on the display? If yes, it's not the PLL or VFO. Can you enter an aircraft frequency, open the squelch and hear lots of noise? Then the AF section isn't involved.

Possibly the RF or IF section is the culprit here - perhaps a blown RF amp. Mike

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I can program the scanner and it accepts my programming and shows up everything on the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.