Pro-668: Radio Shack PRO-668 loaded with Whistler DMR firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Wow scary stuff.

I have a few quick questions for you all.

I have a 668 with Eric's tool on it. The CPU is 4.6, but I'm not sure about the DSP. It looks like the last time I updated it, I updated it to 3.1, which I hear is bad now. So someone help me out please. How do I know what DSP I have installed and how do I know if I lost DMR channels?

I was listening to my radio today and I was picking up a lot of DMR. So how do I know whats working and whats not working with the scanner if I do indeed have the DSP 3.1 on my scanner.

Also, has anyone sent there 668 in and if so, how do you like it?

This may help. I'm looking at what version of EZScan I have right now. It says I have 2.22 and there is a update for 2.24. If I have DSP 3.1, does it mean anything if I installed it when the EZScan App was at version 2.22?

It is as simple as this...if your on DSP 3.1 and picking up DMR transmissions then it is working! You are on the original 3.1 DSP firmware dated before July 2017. DO NOT UPGRADE via the grefwtool or ezscan. Send it to Whistler for any further upgrading.

Kaijudo

It is as simple as this...if your on DSP 3.1 and picking up DMR transmissions then it is working! You are on the original 3.1 DSP firmware dated before July 2017. DO NOT UPGRADE via the grefwtool or ezscan. Send it to Whistler for any further upgrading.
Ah, OK, thanks for the help.

Good thing I'm slow on the uptake when it comers to updating my scanner. I know for a fact I haven't done any CPU or DSP updates since May or June the latest.

So basically if I get a signal and it says DMR; that's all the conformation I need to tell me it's still receiving DMR?.... that also goes for any other feature too, right?

I think I need some kinda info that tells me just how a scanner works.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Ah, OK, thanks for the help.

Good thing I'm slow on the uptake when it comers to updating my scanner. I know for a fact I haven't done any CPU or DSP updates since May or June the latest.

So basically if I get a signal and it says DMR; that's all the conformation I need to tell me it's still receiving DMR?.... that also goes for any other feature too, right?

I think I need some kinda info that tells me just how a scanner works.

Yes, it will say DMR right on the display if DMR. Check out marks easier to read manuals for more info.

Google is your friend!

trp2525

I understand that Craig cannot elaborate on why "The hacking is dangerous to the hobby." but can someone else provide an explanation?
I think it would help if everyone understood the reasons why this might cause damage to the hobby.

Thinking out loud I believe it partially has to do with an expected or projected return on Research & Development (R & D) costs. Let's face it, there is a major monetary expenditure to develop new things for scanners (i.e. ProVoice, DMR, NXDN, etc.). I'm sure that the "bean counters" only approve projects that are projected to meet a certain $$$ return on investment.

That being said if a new scanner offering is hacked (for example DMR in this case) then that could affect the sales (and therefore the expected revenue projections) of the scanners with the new feature(s). That could then affect the hobby because the company involved may not have the seed money needed in the future for further R & D for future innovations/projects. Also if they were openly hacked this time around, the manufacturer may be much more hesitant to embark on new endeavors in the future for fear of the same thing happening again and cutting into their expected revenue.

The fact that Craig also mentioned the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986, he may also be alluding to the possibility of a hacker taking things one step further. Perhaps instead of just hacking DMR, someone may embark on attempting to hack current radio encryption standards so they can be monitored. With the sophistication of today's encryption standards I know that seems VERY far-fetched but I would imagine if someone can encrypt something then someone else with the intellect, time and the right tools and resources at their disposal MAY be able to decrypt it. If that were to occur and the information was released to the masses, perhaps the FCC type acceptance could be denied for all scanners that could be hacked to receive encrypted transmissions. Without FCC type acceptance a scanner cannot be legally manufactured or sold in the USA and so goes the hobby...

trp2525

.... that also goes for any other feature too, right?...

With the use of Eric's tool you can only bring your CPU firmware version to 4.6. FYI if you want to use the radio transmission logging feature of the recently released Control Demo 2 from Whistler, your radio has to be at CPU firmware version 4.8. At this time the only known way to accomplish that is to send your scanner to Whistler for the official upgrade.

Kaijudo

With the use of Eric's tool you can only bring your CPU firmware version to 4.6. FYI if you want to use the radio transmission logging feature of the recently released Control Demo 2 from Whistler, your radio has to be at CPU firmware version 4.8. At this time the only known way to accomplish that is to send your scanner to Whistler for the official upgrade.
hmmm, what's Control Demo 2 about?

Sorry I don't mean to change the thread topic. If you can show me a thread that goes more into what Control Demo 2 is, please let me know.

Yeah I want to do the update for sure, but I'm going to have to wait for a little bit. Is the update for a limited time? and what about the free accessories?... do you really get them for free or did I miss understand something?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
hmmm, what's Control Demo 2 about?

Sorry I don't mean to change the thread topic. If you can show me a thread that goes more into what Control Demo 2 is, please let me know.

Yeah I want to do the update for sure, but I'm going to have to wait for a little bit. Is the update for a limited time? and what about the free accessories?... do you really get them for free or did I miss understand something?

http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/355359-update-6-30-a-3.html#post2786751

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I think there is some confusion as I found no difference between the pre-July DSP firmware and post-July DSP firmware.

There are at least two factors that will cause the Trojan code to trigger. The scanner has CPU Version 4.6 and the date in the scanner at power up is July 2017 or later. Setting the date while the scanner is running will not trigger it, but it will trigger the next time the scanner is powered up unless the battery supply is interrupted.

73 Eric

Kaijudo

Hello,

I think there is some confusion as I found no difference between the pre-July DSP firmware and post-July DSP firmware.

There are at least two factors that will cause the Trojan code to trigger. The scanner has CPU Version 4.6 and the date in the scanner at power up is July 2017 or later. Setting the date while the scanner is running will not trigger it, but it will trigger the next time the scanner is powered up unless the battery supply is interrupted.

73 Eric
Weird. So let me get this straight cause I'm not sure I know what you mean power up (I know I'm a uber newb lol) OK so I'm assuming hen you say powered up you just mean turning it on right? and if so, are you saying that if m,y scanner has the correct date and time on it, the next time I turn it on it could remove my DMR?... I didn't think the date and time effected anything on the scanner. I thought it was just a clock and calendar, not like a PC where date and time really does matter.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Weird. So let me get this straight cause I'm not sure I know what you mean power up (I know I'm a uber newb lol) OK so I'm assuming hen you say powered up you just mean turning it on right? and if so, are you saying that if m,y scanner has the correct date and time on it, the next time I turn it on it could remove my DMR?... I didn't think the date and time effected anything on the scanner. I thought it was just a clock and calendar, not like a PC where date and time really does matter.
Hello,

Yes, turning it on with the power button. The scanner keep the time and date so it can timestamp audio files. The Trojan code reads the date on the scanner and removes DMR and update capability after June 2017.

73 Eric

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

73 Eric

So where does the "trojan code" come from? DSP firmware? CPU firmware or ezscan?

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
So where does the "trojan code" come from? DSP firmware? CPU firmware or ezscan?
Hello,

DSP Firmware. The CPU 4.6 code changed the DSP load code so extra bytes at the end are put in a buffer and the buffer is executed. DSP 3.1 has the Trojan code in those extra bytes.

So it does not matter if you updated the DSP before or after July 1, 2017. What matters is the CPU firmware version, DSP firmware version, and the clock setting on the scanner.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
I have changed the DSP to all the types to no avail..it is either CPU firmware or ezcsan my guess.
Hello,

Once the Trojan code is triggered, it's job is done. It changes the flash memory. You can dowgrade to DSP 3.0, but it will make no difference.

73 Eric

Fasteddy2

Premium Subscriber
Yes I have learn that thank you...if i buy the the whistler upgrade would they fix it to receive DMR again?Don't want to spend money if they send the scanner back.

Last edited:

Nasby

Yes I have learn that thank you...if i buy the the whistler upgrade would they fix it to receive DMR again?Don't want to spend money if they send the scanner back.

Yes. If you send it to Whistler and pay the money they will update the firmware which will allow DMR. (that's the whole reason for the Trojan Horse in the latest updates).

Status
Not open for further replies.