Radio Shack PRO-96 - I need help . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhw817

I would like some simple 1,2,3, etc. instructions on programming myscanner. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but do feel I can follow simple steps. OR would it be better for me to take my scanner to a professional and let them program it.? I have had scanners for 30 years or so but this one has be baffled as to programming it. I live in Central Virginia if that helps. Thank you.

Scrapline

My advise would be to; 1: Invest in a programming cable. 2:Download some trial programming software to find the one to purchase that works best for yourself in using it. 3: Become a premium subscriber to enable you to use the RR database to ultimitly program it for you. Your premium membership will become worth it the more you use it and the cable works with alot of different scanners, if your like alot of fellow members you do or will own more than one scanner and it makes using your scanner(s) alot easier. By the time you pay someone to program your radio for you, your investment in your own equipment would be the better investment.

bhw817

I have a cable that came with the scanner and a Driver CD and user guide that also came with the scanner; listed on the CD is - -""full-speed USB - scanner programming cable"". not sure that will work with windows vista.

Trial programming software - what do you suggest and where do i find it? Reasonable price? How long does the process take, can I start it this evening and complete or should I wait til morning? I will become a premium subscriber.

Thank you for your help.

Scrapline

If you have the radio shack programming cable it should almost surely work with Vista, Install the driver software before you plug in the cable. When you plug in the cable it should install correctly. I just installed my cable on a Win 7 machine using the vista driver and it works well. As far as software there are a few different ones to choose from. I use ARC 96 from BuTel software, it will let you try it for thirty days before you have to purchase it. There is also software called win96 I believe by a Don starr. I am not familular with it but I believe that it also comes with a thirty day trial period. I don't want to get in trouble for doing any advertising so I 'm pretty sure you'll be able to find at least these two programs doing a web search.

gcgrotz

Spend some time on here poking around the forums, Radio Shack and software forums in particular. Also, the wiki has some good articles. I've never used a '96 so I can't be of much but I have used both Don Starr's and Butel's software for other models. I used Butel when I got a BCD 396 a few years ago and had it up and running Albemarle County in a matter of minutes. I agree, it is best to figure it out just for your own enjoyment if nothing else.

Anyway, welcome aboard and good to have another member in the area.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I would like some simple 1,2,3, etc. instructions on programming myscanner. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but do feel I can follow simple steps. OR would it be better for me to take my scanner to a professional and let them program it.? I have had scanners for 30 years or so but this one has be baffled as to programming it. I live in Central Virginia if that helps. Thank you.
Welcome to RR.

Below my signature is a shortcut for programming the 96 and many other scanners.

BTW, to program VA STARS you will need Win96 or ARC96 due to multi tables (3 at 2.50KHz Step) used in STARS.

Last edited:

bhw817

Well, looks like a good time to work on programming my scanner. Snowing here in Crozet VA.

Been a long time since I asked for help. I think I have the driver installed and ARC96. Someone mentioned that a "caveman" could do this but this "cavewoman" has no clue. I have a blank page with lots of places for info - where do I get this info from? On the left is a place for Banks, frequencies, talkgroups and settings.

Again, thanks for any help / info. I'll try to complete this project today. :)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Well, looks like a good time to work on programming my scanner. Snowing here in Crozet VA.

Been a long time since I asked for help. I think I have the driver installed and ARC96. Someone mentioned that a "caveman" could do this but this "cavewoman" has no clue. I have a blank page with lots of places for info - where do I get this info from? On the left is a place for Banks, frequencies, talkgroups and settings.

Again, thanks for any help / info. I'll try to complete this project today. :)

Virginia Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.