*Radio Shack Store Closing Thread* All posts about Radio Shack closing go here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

com501

I 'got closure' ten or more years ago when parts and some nice equipment (other than stupid cell phones) was no longer available. Radio Shack is now the radio enthusiasts Blockbuster Video.

Louwo

Premium Subscriber
There is one store open by me on rt 94 in Blairstown still. I almost broke my neck doing a double take the other day when I passed it.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
There is one store open by me on rt 94 in Blairstown still. I almost broke my neck doing a double take the other day when I passed it.

That would be a dealer store, of which there are over 400 remaining across the country. All of the corporate stores are long gone.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I come here to read folks'es memories and anecdotes and such....
Bingo. It's basically a place for some to get nostalgic about days gone by. Just sharing old stories. I have 0.0% belief that radio shack will ever exist again.

Sharing memories and stories is as old as human history though. Take it for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CincyKid

It appears the closest Radio Shack store for me is in Eaton, Ohio. I'm not exactly clear what they might sell there or would it just be for ordering and paying for items and then picking them up when they are delivered? Would it be a place you could take a previously-bought Radio Shack item for service?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It appears the closest Radio Shack store for me is in Eaton, Ohio. I'm not exactly clear what they might sell there or would it just be for ordering and paying for items and then picking them up when they are delivered? Would it be a place you could take a previously-bought Radio Shack item for service?

If you want to know what they sell or what they do, stop by there. As far as service, I wouldn't trust them for anything,

CincyKid

If you want to know what they sell or what they do, stop by there. As far as service, I wouldn't trust them for anything,

Thanks. Eaton, Ohio is about 50 miles away from where I live. I'm familiar with Eaton because I worked there many years ago and have gone back over the years. I thought I might get some indication of what this specific store might offer before making that trip.

N8IAA

Thanks. Eaton, Ohio is about 50 miles away from where I live. I'm familiar with Eaton because I worked there many years ago and have gone back over the years. I thought I might get some indication of what this specific store might offer before making that trip.

Maybe pick up the phone and call them:confused:
Larry

bob550

Premium Subscriber

According to the store locator on RS.com, the Eaton store is a RadioShack dealer. This is not a corporate store, as all corporate stores have long since closed. The dealer stores are independent businesses, and may be able to perform repair work on RS products. You'd be best by calling them first, however.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What exactly is the RadioShack item you need service on? The corporate stores hadn't accepted anything for repair in several years prior to the first bankruptcy in 2015. Too many home electronics are considered disposable, and the cost of repair often is competitive with replacement.

Last edited:

ecps92

Corporate Radio Shack stores, never handled any repairs.
Those always went out to the Service Center

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Corporate Radio Shack stores, never handled any repairs.
Those always went out to the Service Center

Technically, there was a time in the mid to late 90's when stores could perform "in-store repairs". The manager would typically handle the work, and determine what to charge the customer. It was never a good idea as the store managers weren't trained, customer charges could be arbitrary, and repairs could sit around the stores for weeks before being worked on. However, managers got to liking this as they recouped the profit from the repair, instead of our repair centers. Other than that, stores only "accepted" items for repair and then forwarded the item to the appropriate repair center. More recently, select RadioShack stores had the "Fix it Here" programs for the repair of cellphones. All that said, RS dealers can set their own policies regarding servicing and repairs, and are not bound by any corporate edict.

CincyKid

I'm just on the lookout for new police/fire scanners and have had previous purchases of those from Radio Shack although it's been a few years.

The item I'm looking for repair on is the microphone and auxiliary inputs for a cassette recorder which appears to have a short in it. I'm familiar with Radio Shack and other outlets wanting someone to buy a new product rather than have the older one repaired. However, my experience with cassette recorders is the cassettes recorded on that specific machine doesn't have the same audio quality when played on another or even a new recorder and I have any number of cassettes from that older recorder and I would like to continue to use it for both recording and listening.

As was noted in the reply from Larry, probably calling ahead to the Eaton store is the easiest way to determine if it can provide what I'm looking for.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I'm just on the lookout for new police/fire scanners and have had previous purchases of those from Radio Shack although it's been a few years.

If you check the RS website, you'll see that they don't even mention scanners. Not that is ever mattered anyway, since all their units were private-labeled by GRE, Whistler, or Uniden. In the last few years of it's existence, scanners were seldom in stock and weren't being replenished. That said, dealers are free to carry what ever products they wish, and may have something in stock you can look at.

ecps92

You must have been lucky, as anything in my area was shipped out, unless you found one of the few Sales/Techs working on the side.
Technically, there was a time in the mid to late 90's when stores could perform "in-store repairs". The manager would typically handle the work, and determine what to charge the customer. It was never a good idea as the store managers weren't trained, customer charges could be arbitrary, and repairs could sit around the stores for weeks before being worked on. However, managers got to liking this as they recouped the profit from the repair, instead of our repair centers. Other than that, stores only "accepted" items for repair and then forwarded the item to the appropriate repair center. More recently, select RadioShack stores had the "Fix it Here" programs for the repair of cellphones. All that said, RS dealers can set their own policies regarding servicing and repairs, and are not bound by any corporate edict.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.