Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner71

Bought a 651 on EBay and there is no firmware installed. Called Radio shack a total of 15x and each time I mention the firmware is missing they hang up!!!! Really!!!! Offer me some help, tell me to send it in and they will fix it have some kind of customer support, NOPE just hang up. Any suggestions on when a software update is coming or if you are reading the Radio Shack put a link to software updates on your site so people can fix their expensive radios. Any help from anyone would be appreciated .

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Bought a 651 on EBay and there is no firmware installed. Called Radio shack a total of 15x and each time I mention the firmware is missing they hang up!!!! Really!!!! Offer me some help, tell me to send it in and they will fix it have some kind of customer support, NOPE just hang up. Any suggestions on when a software update is coming or if you are reading the Radio Shack put a link to software updates on your site so people can fix their expensive radios. Any help from anyone would be appreciated .

What makes you think there is no firmware installed?

Northerner71

Never said it was Radio Shacks fault, I called 15x just to talk to someone about how to fix it and they would just hang up. At least have to decency to say I was out of luck or try this or that, NOPE just hang up. That is why I am mad. GRE, Uniden and the likes have a page where you can go to intall firmware except Radio Shack. Why. It would not be a complicated thing. I have always liked the Shack but this experience says they don't care anymore. HMMMMM...... I always wondered why they were going t!ts up.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

So you actually got hung up on 15 times?

Was the radio new or used or a refurb? Either way, return it as it's defective.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Hopefully you didn't send a Money Order.

File a PayPal claim, but look at the listing carefully to see if the seller had anything buried in the listing concerning it being a parts or repair device. Sellers can avoid refund claims pretty easily if the scanner was sold as a parts or repair item.

If it was listed as working, new, etc. PayPal is very good about refunding your money. eBay will do the same through it's Buyer Protection policies.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Reiterating what the others said, its not radio shacks fault. Granted they didn't know how to fix it , nor any of us, as a few others asked how to fix theirs when they did the same to their 651/652 scanners, short of sending it in for repair.

Willing to bet they tried to apply a firmware update and their is none for that model.
They applied firmware that was for the previous model pro 197 and they bricked it.

See - http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/303131-gre-made-scanner-firmware-update.html

Its the risk at times one takes with ebay I'm afraid. Would have to send it in for repair or if there is ever going to be a firmware update for that model, apply that and I feel 'rather confident' it would put a proper firmware in it and it would work. No guarantee a firmware update would ever be available anyways though.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

scosgt

If you want to get it fixed, contact Whistler. They made the radio and they can fix it. Prepare to pay.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Why are you calling Radio Shack instead of the seller. Radio Shack doesn't handle service (especially if you didn't buy it from them) it would be Whistler, and used to be GRE, or Uniden, depending on which manufacturer made that particular model.

I would contact the seller for a refund. I filed an ebay claim years ago and received a full refund and was able to keep the item.

scma127

Premium Subscriber
Radioi Shack SUCKS!!

i just bought a radio shack pro of amazon work fine it was brand new and i have been buying radio shack scanners since the late 70s

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
It is a 651, and Whistler can fix it. For a fee no doubt.

I doubt that Whistler would even look at the scanner even through they designed and built it to RadioShacks specifications. As far as they're concerned it's a RadioShack scanner and any service/repair should be handled by RS. This is not unlike GRE stating that they couldn't repair or support any scanners they made for RadioShack.

As for the OPs problem - sure sounds like someone tinkered with the firmware and bricked the scanner. Open a PayPal dispute ASAP and escalate if you don't get a satisfactory response from the seller. Making an *** of yourself by hassling RadioShack will get you nowhere.

dkf435

Radio Shack should still have their version of the current firmware available or be able to be loaded by the repair depot. This is why the PRO 18 was being cleared out for $80 by Overstock.com when PSR800s were over $500 on Ebay.

And Radio Shack wonders why they are going out of business.

David Kb7uns

Status
Not open for further replies.