Radio shack USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddoppke

I can not get this to work. It keeps going into the cloning mode no matter what I try. Has anyone else had this problem. Using Win2000pro on a Dell Optiplex pc. Tried reinstalling, changing settings drivers, still no progress. I can get the serial port cable to work but I need that port for another device. Any suggestions.
Thanks,
Dennis

KE5BCP

Analog Man
If you are referring to one of the GRE made scanners and using WinXX software, then it will say "clone mode"
on the screen as soon as the cable is plugged in (this is normal).
Next, at the top of the WinXX screen, go to "Scanner" then "Upload to Scanner" or "Download from Scanner".

ddoppke

I have to say that is not the way my serial cable works. when pluged into the scanner the display is normal then I go to upload or down load and it works fine. It does not display that clone message at all. The USB cable will not work.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
First, it depends on whose cable you have. If you own a RS Grey Serial cable, it does not automatically put the radio in "Clone" mode when you plug it in. The original cable types (more generally called a purple cable even though it is not purple) will do this, but it doesn't change the way the cable works.

You say the USB RS cable does not work. You didn't say how it didn't work.

RayK

Hi,first what radio are you using , if your using the RS usb adapter the is a cable adapter included and the manual is on the cd in pdf format ,it tells you what radios need to use the adapter cable . Hopes this helps,Ray

goldenboymd

Make sure that you have the right Com Port set for the USB cable. I use Com 4 and you can do that under config. Good Luck

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Don't plug the cable into the scanner PC/IF port but do plug the cable into a USB Jack on the PC.

Open Device Manager and look for any yellow notices under Ports or Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If any are found, make sure your disk which came with the cable is in the drive and click on update driver on the yellow (!) notice.

If no yellow (!) notices are present, open the + next to Ports and your com port for the USB serial should be listed. Set this port in Win96.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Frank,

Do you agree that it's normal for the 20-047 USB cable to put the radio in Clone Mode when plugged into the radio?

I am having the same problem, but the have not had a problem uploading from Win96 to the scanner. It's just the annoyance of having to unplug the cable from the scanner in order to save the program to it's assigned V-file location and then replug it to upload the next item.

If there's a way around this, I'd love to know--but it's not stopping me from programming the radio thus far.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Bucko

This is normal using the USB cable, it is the same for the 2055 & 2096/ 96. I believe W5JSS already stated that this normal for the USB cable.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
n4jri said:
Frank,

Do you agree that it's normal for the 20-047 USB cable to put the radio in Clone Mode when plugged into the radio?

I am having the same problem, but the have not had a problem uploading from Win96 to the scanner. It's just the annoyance of having to unplug the cable from the scanner in order to save the program to it's assigned V-file location and then replug it to upload the next item.

If there's a way around this, I'd love to know--but it's not stopping me from programming the radio thus far.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Use the software to load the V-Folder directly instead of the two step process you are using. Win96 menu item Scanner -> Virtual Scanner, refer to the help file for what all the choices mean in the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.