Radio suggestions - Mini with Mars Cap

suicideking

I'm looking to get a new radio. Need one that can do ham and GMRS. So either one that doesn't need the mars/cap mod or one that I can buy already modded.

The one I'm considering is this Retevis RT95. I like that's it's small and not very expensive. Though I see it's 25W vs. some of the more expensive models that are 50W. What's the transmit limitation difference between the two? I'd say 99% of the time I'm talking to people in other Jeeps that are either within eyeshot, or maybe a mile or two away.

Any others that are similar and maybe a better brand like ICOM or Yaesu? Looks like those brands would require the mod.

I do have both the ham tech and GMRS liscenses.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Need one that can do ham and GMRS.
It's very likely that no such animal exists. GMRS transmitters must have an FCC equipment authorization grant for Part 95E. I'm not aware of any transceiver marketed for the amateur radio market that also has Part 95E certification. If you are going to abide by the terms of the GMRS license that the FCC issued to you, you'll use Part 95E equipment. If you don't care about FCC rules, that's up to you.

It's generally accepted that Part 90 transceivers are "OK" for Part 95E. The technical rules are similar and many companies that market Part 90 radios don't bother getting Part 95E certification. Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, and others make Part 90 transceivers that you could use on GMRS. Something like a Kenwood TK-8180 could be programmed with GMRS and amateur radio frequencies.

suicideking

It's very likely that no such animal exists. GMRS transmitters must have an FCC equipment authorization grant for Part 95E. I'm not aware of any transceiver marketed for the amateur radio market that also has Part 95E certification. If you are going to abide by the terms of the GMRS license that the FCC issued to you, you'll use Part 95E equipment. If you don't care about FCC rules, that's up to you.

It's generally accepted that Part 90 transceivers are "OK" for Part 95E. The technical rules are similar and many companies that market Part 90 radios don't bother getting Part 95E certification. Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, and others make Part 90 transceivers that you could use on GMRS. Something like a Kenwood TK-8180 could be programmed with GMRS and amateur radio frequencies.

I have had good experiences with Kenwood. Though looks like the TK-8180 is no longer in production.

suicideking

Besides what AK9R mentioned the Retevis seems to be a rebranded Anytone radio. Why not look at the original Anytone version?

I did see that same radio with different names. I would buy the Anytone assuming that's a more well known brand.

Also considering the TYT TH-8600 because it's waterproof and will be going in my Jeep. I also noticed that the Anytone model has the speaker on the bottom. Looks like my mounting location would be better with a speaker on the top or front. So like that the TYT has the speaker on the top. The Anytone can be rotated, but then the buttons would be upside down.

Looks like the Radioddity DB25-G might work as well and I've heard of that brand. Though it is listed as a GMRS radio, so not sure if it will do ham. It does list VHF, UHF, NOAA.

Last edited:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'd say 99% of the time I'm talking to people in other Jeeps that are either within eyeshot, or maybe a mile or two away.

You might find this thread useful. It's specific to 4Runners. but there's some Jeep references that are on point.

I've had no experience with this Retrivis/Anytone model, but one aspect of the radio that would be of concern to me is that it won't do "split mount", meaning the control panel detaches from the radio body with a (usually) ethernet cable. This allows for far more flexible mounting options.

suicideking

Apparently the TYT TH-8600 does come with programming software, but is not supported by CHIRP. So probably going with the AnyTone AT-778UV.

W7ML

Radioddity DB20-G a/k/a Anytone AT-779 UV Part 95E certified GMRS mini-mobile ($99-$109), 20 watts, cigarette lighter plug, 500 channels, easily opens up to Ham Radio 2 meters and 70 cm (and shhhhh: MURS!).

(Free shipping from Los Angeles)