Radio "wave" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Forgive me if not the correct forum, but I thought you guys might know what I'm seeing. I recently started using a RTL-SDR device with SDR# software. I'm tuned to a random station on SW and I'm just zoning out looking at the zig-zag noise level running left to right when I see a spike on the left side of the screen. I thought it was a station but the spike traveled left to right like a wave in the ocean. I was in AM mode and I didn't hear anything when it crossed my frequency. I've only seen this happen twice in the last several months. Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be much more helpful if you would supply a time (in UTC, preferably) and frequency. A screenshot of your display would also help identify what you are seeing

Mike

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
I've seen this before. Several years ago I had my spectrum analyzer hooked up to my shortwave antenna. While watching the amplitude of the broadcasting stations there was this small blip that ran completely through the screen. I kept moving the center point of the SA to watch the blip for a few minutes as it kept moving for many Mhz. It finally lost strength until I couldn't see it. I don't recall the frequency band but I did some internet searching at the time and found a few articles about shortwave propagation testing that may be related.

ridgescan

A guy here whose handle is Token once explained this thing but I cannot find it and cannot recall the jist of it. I think he said it's something that is some sort of band propagation checker for some unknown entity.
I'm off to search further for this.
I found this in the University of Twente site about this.

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/chirps/article/

I see the same thing on my spectrum scope but I actually hear the "chirp" as it passes over the frequency I'm on. I suspect the reason you didn't hear that chirp like you said, is you might have had an Auto Notch Filter engaged.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
I often hear and see 'sweepers' going right through the HF spectrum but it's not one of them, they'e much too fast. Another thing I see on my WinRad G33DDC is a 'hump' of noise that slowly travels across the screen from either direction, sometime a bit unstable and have a distinct warble if I'm set to SSB as it passes through the selected frequency. In the end I tracked it down to a birdie from a laptop - I guess there's many of them at various harmonics - every laptop that I have does the same. It's not a biggie, the "hump" is probably only about 10dB more than the background noise.

majoco

Stirrer
OK, here's a pic of a hump...as you can see, it's just noise and it cover about 200kHz, it's slowly moving left to right and takes about 2 minutes to go from one side to the other, so it's moving about 250kHz per minute. You can see in the waterfall it's just a fuzzy line with a couple of jitters in it but that's only showing about 20seconds.

Attachments

• Clipboard01 Hump.jpg
    Clipboard01 Hump.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Fletch

Premium Subscriber
I've seen this a lot

Anyone know what this might be? (In the red circle, a little hard to see)? It looks like a a pulse type transmission going across the entire spectrum. Kind'a like what was described previously. I captured this from the Netherlands web radio radio receiver.

Attachments

• Pulse Sweep.jpg
    Pulse Sweep.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.