RadioReference Mentors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

This thread hasn't seen any action since September and I'm just now getting a chance to read it. I think it is a great idea to recognize those who take time to help others out on here, even if the ones they do help don't respond back to them to say thank you.

Great idea to encourage others helping others !!

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Besides changing from member to mentor in the forums are any other perks ? I.e. some forum moderating, etc. ?
How does one become nominated?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Besides changing from member to mentor in the forums are any other perks ? I.e. some forum moderating, etc. ?
How does one become nominated?

From post #7 above,

"We aren't looking for nominations, nor will we consider self-promotion."

QDP2012

Thank you to all who help us learn!

...How does one become nominated?

From what was posted above, it seems that the option to offer the title "mentor" is being reserved for those who actually already are, and have a proven track-record of, mentoring regardless of recognition.

I am guessing that those bestowing this title are not offering it as something to be earned, but more as a gift that is their sign of appreciation for work already being done--and probably for that which reduces the moderators' burdens instead of adding to them. I am also guessing that a detectable attempt to earn the title might disqualify a person from it. As many students can confirm, there is a difference between "mentor", and "respondent".

With regards to the mentors who have helped me through the years, they not only helped provide knowledge by answering my questions, but also taught or inspired enthusiasm for the subject-matter itself and for sharing it with others. In many cases I have seen a mentor fill not just the role of "instructor", but also the role of "instructor-trainer". (To clarify the term, in my region, an "instructor-trainer" teaches instructors whereas instructors teach students.)

My thanks to all who help the rest of us learn, whether or not they have an official title.

Thank you,

12dbsinad

member added to the "Mentors" status; that being "MMCKENNA". He always post answer to help others and is never a smart#$% in his answers.

I agree 100%. He is a valuable asset to the RR community. His responses are always accurate, detailed, and well thought out. He is also EXTREMELY patient and friendly, to everyone.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Yes, your last sentence, "He is also EXTREMELY patient and friendly, to everyone.", is what made me post that he be a Mentor status. There are others who need to be added to the "Mentor" list, and I hope that they will be.
Thanks 12dbsinad for posting your agreement; hopefully the admins will give him the recognition he deserves.

edit: below is an example of his great ways of helping others; post number 19:

http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-equipment/346511-cost-have-repeater.html#post2701135

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I know the mod team may not like me a whole lot, and my opinion on many subjects and about how RR operates runs contrary to Lindsays business model, but I would agree mmkenna is very much the definition of a mentor. His advice is spot on regarding LMR equipment. He is very patient and helpful. When it comes to antenmas and antemma systems prcguy is also an excellent mentor as well.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
I've never seen your posts to be outrageous or off track. Blunt and to the point, yes; but not harmful to the community or members.
prcguy was one of my other choice for the Mentor status also. As a matter of fact, he was the next one I was going to bring up to the admins about the Mentor nomination. There's a few others that may need to be added later on.
But at this time, the wait is on the admins. (not to rush them, I will wait for a couple weeks because they some times get their hands full.)
Thanks kayn1n32008 for posting in support of mmckenna. Your posts are worthy and helpful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.