Radios needed for lake excursions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I go on multi-boat lake fishing trips with some friends. The problem is there is little or no cell coverage on the lakes and we need a way to communicate. The main lake (and biggest) we hit is approximately 6 miles long. Almost all of the lake is only 1/4 mile wide, with a few spots that are 3/4 miles wide. There are no obstructions. If if means anything for the answer, the lakes are around 1,500 feet above sea level. None of us are licensed Hams.

What kind of hand held radios are best to suit our needs? If at least one person on each boat had a class of Ham license, would we have better options?

Thanks

GarretRR

Get some Marine VHF radios. Either Handheld or Boat Mounted. Those should work just fine and you’ll be able to call for help on Channel 16 if needed. You should have one anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragon48

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, but is it so much better than this model which is less than half the price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J5MQ20/

Depends on your needs. The Cobra is 6W instead of 5W. It's also dual-band, VHF-Marine, and GMRS, meaning you increase your chances of contacting someone if you need help. GMRS can be used on water and land. VHF-Marine is for use on the water, not land. The Cobra also has: Rewind-Say-Again® - Replay missed VHF calls!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
- The Cobra radio identifies that it offers Marine and GMRS frequencies for use. You will need a license to legally transmit on the GMRS frequencies. A license is $70, good for 10 years, and you can take care of it all online. Basically, you could use the GMRS while on land and the Marine side when you are on the water. (You could use GMRS frequencies on water too)

- The Uniden MHS75 is strictly Marine band for use on water. For communication on boats this should be fine. Using the low power setting may be enough, which extends battery life. Yes, 1 watt or even 2.5 watts should be enough. If you are going to talk often, purchase an extra battery for each one.

- You could get an Amateur Radio license, but you will need to take a test and typically pay a nominal fee around $15. An Amateur license provides you the ability to use entirely different frequencies. For what you want to do, this looks to be more hoops than you want to jump through. (Each boat would need a licensed operator)

* Based on your identified needs, a Uniden MHS75 in each boat would be the better option for your boat excursion. Fellow boaters would typically be monitoring Marine channel 16 for emergency use only. I have a GMRS license and I would purchase that Uniden over the Cobra.

dragon48

I was just about to purchase the Uniden MHS75, however, it only charges with a DC cigarette lighter outlet.

Three questions:

1 - Are normal outlet AC converter adapters reliable?

2 - Will this model work with either AA or AAA batteries?

2 - Any handheld marine radios that have more conventional charging mechanisms?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I was just about to purchase the Uniden MHS75, however, it only charges with a DC cigarette lighter outlet.

Three questions:

1 - Are normal outlet AC converter adapters reliable?

2 - Will this model work with either AA or AAA batteries?

2 - Any handheld marine radios that have more conventional charging mechanisms?

1. Yes, but be careful because they are not made to be in outside type weather like on a boat for example

2. No, because its a battery pack one

3. No, because you need the charger to actually charge the battery pack, there is no other way to due that safely

Status
Not open for further replies.