RadioShack Pro-106 Software Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delldell26

I plan on purchasing the new RadioShack Pro-106 scanner. I am not sure on what software to get though. My current scanner is a RadioShack Pro-70...I know, OLD! I just recently started looking into new scanners and I am overwhelmed by how much they have changed. All this new technology is quite daunting to me. I am going from a 50 channel, no problem to enter frequencies manually, to something that seems like it might more than I will be able to handle. All these new terms, new features, etc.

Anyway, back to the software issue. Scanner software is completely foreign to me so I was hoping to get a little advice from the knowledgeable people on this site. I see there are several options to program the Pro-106. The two most popular software programs seem to be ARC500 and WIN500. Any recommendations for someone who only has experience with a Pro-70?

Thank you in advance.

04Z1V6

I like Win500 and if you become a RR subscriber it is a breeze to set up anywhere you have a computer. I have been out of scanning for a long time and jumped back in a few months ago and easily programed my 2096 and my new 106. When learning to use the software I redid the files allot because I prefer to lay things out my own way and add names that I understand and this is the best program for this IMHO.

weeksben1

I'd say try out all three (arc500, WIN500 and PSRedit) and see which one you like /works the best for you and go from there. I use both WIN500 (for its very nice remote control functions) and ARC500 (for its ease of editing/moving/adding channels).

GregStough

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the ARC500 and it seems to work very nice. I am having one problem though, so perhaps someone has a solution. I like to organize my "scanable objects" in a logical manner. For example all the dispatch for fire or police so that they are next to each other on the scanner. I like this because if I am in manual mode listening to something and then they switch to another channel I'd like to be able to scroll up or down a channel or so to get to that frequency. Well, I've learned that the ARC500 software will save items according to how they are listed in the frequency table - the object browser. That's great. I cut and pasted things to put them in a good order. Well, by accident I sorted the table by one of the collums, made some edits, and then saved it. Whoops! I shouldn't have done that because now the items are saved in the order of the last sort, and not the nice logical order that I had spent so much time organizing. I wish there would be a way of numbering the frequencies so that no matter how you sorted them, you could go back to that original numbering system and regain the logical order. I cannot find how to do something like this. Pehaps it is not possible. Does anyone know? Or does anyone have an idea of how to keep these in an organized order that can be returned to after other types of sorting?

Thanks Everyone!

- Greg

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Greg, I think if you set ARC in Scanlist order, then in TG ID order, save and send to scanner may work.

BTW, ScanControl is in beta test for these scanners.

GregStough

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestion Frank. I've tried to find any way to set/select "scan list order". And on conventional frequencies there would not be a talkgroup ID to do talkgroup order. The only way that I've been able to sort is by clicking on the column header. I haven't found any options in the menu for sorting at all. Do you know where I could select the scan list order?

Thanks!
- Greg

GregStough

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Frank. I'm going to reply to the other post. I was hoping that there would be another way besides the scan lists. They are a good start, but not as good as I was hoping for.

Thanks again!

- Greg

elawler14

Help

I'm looking for some help with my Pro-106, I'm using the Pro96Com software but it says that port does not exist. Any thoughts?

philman50

OK, so I have a new Pro-106, I can use 300 to take the stuff off the Pro97, then use 500 to put it on the 106 to get started?

mikey60

OK, so I have a new Pro-106, I can use 300 to take the stuff off the Pro97, then use 500 to put it on the 106 to get started?

PSREdit500 can read the data directly from the PRO-97 and upload that to the PRO-106. PSREdit500 will also load the files from PSREdit300 and convert that to the PSR-500/PRO106 format as well.

Mike

lordgrizz

i just got my pro 106 i have a pc cable 20-047 but I cant get my computer to pic up the scanner what do i need to do for this to happen

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
i just got my pro 106 i have a pc cable 20-047 but I cant get my computer to pic up the scanner what do i need to do for this to happen
Welcome to forum.

With cable plugged into USB check device Manager for comport #. Should be listed as USB Serial Port (COMx).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Which only happens if you load drivers, or if Windoze finds something for you and installs it. You must then check Device Manager to insure that the port is really available; Bluetooth devices and USB cameras, among others, have a nasty habit of allocating a USB port and not releasing it, even when the device is no longer attached. See this wiki article (anything in blue is a link) for more...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

JAMINRC

Premium Subscriber
i have arc500 pro from radio shack and it is really cool and easy to use .Although if u buy thru blu tel software they have a better version then radio shack, it has a recorder and other features.

runhot

I'm also new to the concept of having to use software to program a scanner...do these programs have a kind of "step-by-step" guide for you when you start?

Status
Not open for further replies.