Radioshack pro-163 help asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9police

Hi Again Everyone,

Ok, I bought the Radioshack Magmount antenna for the Radioshack Pro-163 and stuck it to the back of my filing cabinet. For some reason now with it on, It seems to be making some of the local frequencies even worse than they were before. What the heck is going on and how do I make these issues clear. I NEED TO BE ABLE TO HEAR THE TRANSMISSIONS and I dont want to keep moving the antenna back and forth to different places. I need help in fixing the problem ASAP. Thanks again,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The antenna is in the vertical position. I havent been getting MSP or MEMA like I did with the stock antenna. Right this second, I was recieving better signal with the stock antenna than I am with the Magmount. I dont know know whether its the scanner, my location or the antenna itself or what but I am getting really agervated. People have told me to put it out on my window sill out side behind the screen that I have on my window, but that means it would be at lot lower height than it is when it is inside on the filing cabinet. I dont what the issue with this is but I need to fix it ASAP. Please give me a few more suggsestions. Once again, everyone I appricate you patience and help with me during this matter. Thanks again.

I think possibly the file cabinet well make it worse because of the metal or what ever on it possibly. Also if it is near a computer or TV it may make it worse that way to.

Maybe even put the antenna on the floor and extend the antenna to its fullest or adjust as necessary if possible.

Or if you have a long enough coax cable and if you have an attic put the antenna in there.

I'm sorry don't have any other better suggestions.

mulveyr

Hi Again Everyone,

Ok, I bought the Radioshack Magmount antenna for the Radioshack Pro-163 and stuck it to the back of my filing cabinet. For some reason now with it on, It seems to be making some of the local frequencies even worse than they were before. What the heck is going on and how do I make these issues clear. I NEED TO BE ABLE TO HEAR THE TRANSMISSIONS and I dont want to keep moving the antenna back and forth to different places. I need help in fixing the problem ASAP. Thanks again,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The antenna is in the vertical position. I havent been getting MSP or MEMA like I did with the stock antenna. Right this second, I was recieving better signal with the stock antenna than I am with the Magmount. I dont know know whether its the scanner, my location or the antenna itself or what but I am getting really agervated. People have told me to put it out on my window sill out side behind the screen that I have on my window, but that means it would be at lot lower height than it is when it is inside on the filing cabinet. I dont what the issue with this is but I need to fix it ASAP. Please give me a few more suggsestions. Once again, everyone I appricate you patience and help with me during this matter. Thanks again.

First of all, calm down. I sincerely doubt that it's the life-or-death matter you seem to be implying.

Radio is a funny thing. Sometimes moving the antenna just a few feet to a different spot will make a significant amount of difference in your reception. Your antenna might be getting detuned by other metal objects in the vicinity, etc.

If the window-sill location is feasible, then there's no reason not to try it. In spite of being lower, it could easily end up being a better location for an antenna. Height is important, but a difference of a few feet is unlikely to make any significant difference, all else being equal.

It really comes down to experimentation. Keep moving it around until you find the best spot.

KI6LWI

So are farther away stations coming in better, but the local stuff got worse with a higher gain antenna? Could be front-end overload. Try turning on the attenuator on the local channels and see if it works better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.