RadioShack website missing scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Looks like the Pro-96, Pro-97 and their desktop versions are not on the RS website anymore. I know this happened before and they showed them up again after a while with a sale or something but this might be it... they might be discontinued models or something..:twisted:

Shortwavewave

I think this has been asked before, and for some strange reason Radio Shack take these models off from time to time, something to do with updateing the site.

pogbobo

there is no doubt in my mind that they will re-appear eventually, even if they are being phased out they still list them at a sale price for a while first ... lol, every time I visit their website there is at least one scanner that is MIA .... radio shack, what a bunch 'a goobers :cool::D

LEH

Premium Subscriber
ridgescan said:
Am I alone in feeling that our hobby is slowly being rubbed out?

Well between Radio Shack slowly phasing out scanners (I guess neither Uniden or GRE want to build them anymore) and slowly seeing more and more encryption, you could be right.

Though as others have said, there will be some things out there that will probably not be encrypted for a long time to come. But then I don't have a drive through window close enough to pick up, even with my outside antenna. :(

Radio Shack really won't be missed if they stop selling scanners as long as Uniden and GRE keep producing them. I know there are others who make scanners, but these two are the only ones who make APCO 25 models or trunk trackers

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
LEH said:
Well between Radio Shack slowly phasing out scanners (I guess neither Uniden or GRE want to build them anymore)

<<SNIP>>

Radio Shack phasing out scanners? New this year Pro-137, Pro-163, and Pro-164 (From GRE) replacing the Pro-99, Pro-97, and Pro-2055.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
KC5EIB said:
LEH said:
Well between Radio Shack slowly phasing out scanners (I guess neither Uniden or GRE want to build them anymore)

<<SNIP>>

Radio Shack phasing out scanners? New this year Pro-137, Pro-163, and Pro-164 (From GRE) replacing the Pro-99, Pro-97, and Pro-2055.

I know, but the only APCO 25 scanner that is a RS brand they sell is the 2096 (I didn't see the 96 on their page today, but they are selling the Uniden line).

Basically others have commented on RS dumping their scanner line and considering what I've seen recently, this could be true (replaced by Uniden and/or GRE W/O the RS label). Who knows.

jb872033

its a shame what RS has become, i remember when they were one of the prime suppliers (locally) of radio equipment, now they have a few FRS/GMRS pieces and scanners...you are lucky if they carry VHF marines anymore...their antenna stock has become a joke...frankly i dont bother with them anymore for my antenna needs...the scanners they have are nice and cost effecive but at the same time it will only be a matter of time before they only carry cell phones, and gadgets...maybe some home theatre components...as a freelance sound engineer (live sound...concerts etc.) their "pro" audio stock has become less and less as well...i propose that they change their name to CELL shack so that they might be a lil less misleading...i understand it from a business standpoint but from a hobbyist standpoint they are lucky they have any customers left...

JB

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I think one of RS's issues is they try to cater their stores to the local market. For instance, none of the RS stores in Newport News or Hampton carry their digital scanners. Neither system is digital, though the counties that border Newport News are digital (their stores do carry digital scanners). Hampton has Langley AFB which is digital and also has a border with a digital county.

As southeastern VA is on the water, the limited stock of marine radios in the RS line is available at nearly all their stores.

But by and large, RS is becoming a cell phone and toy store, but then so is the market they are targeting.

lugoffman

i spoke wit a manager with radio shack here in my town in south carolina and they told me that they are working on there sight and the scanner buisness is growing more and more each day and they are updating there web sight and adding new and better udated product to there web sight with the new digital change over thats happing in 2009 and they will be putting a lot more stuff on there than before and he said also that there are going to be a lot of stuff going onsale soon. so he also said for time being if you dont see somthing on the web sight to call your local store and see if they can assist you with your need

Viper43

lugoffman said:
. so he also said for time being if you dont see somthing on the web sight to call your local store and see if they can assist you with your need

lol, that would be OK IF the employees in Indy spoke ENGLISH! I have been to five different RS stores in Indy and every one of them they speak SPANISH and have no clue what your talking about. If I need something I go in and don't speak to them at all, just get what I need pay and leave, these people couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag let alone find anything in the store except CELL PHONES!
That reminds me, I hate that every time I go to RS they try to shove a cell phone down my throat, even though they clearly see I already have TWO of them....one Verizon and a NEXTEL 2 way....

ridgescan

In my humble opinion, people who scan as a hobby are not only a rare breed, but a dying one too. I'm just speaking of what my experience has been out here on the west side. Hell-in my own family, extended family, and friends I'm the only radio guy! How many concur there? In the entire S.F. bay area, the only wells to draw from are RS and Ham Radio Outlet way the heck out in the middle of Oakland. Go read the threads about Glen at Scanners Unlimited and the effect of his retirement. Besides the fact that Glen was Godlike as a person.. he was the only "radio beacon" for us west of the bay! Thanks Glen for keeping the hobby alive all those years and thanks to all you guys for allowing me to say all this

lugoffman

Viper43 said:
lol, that would be OK IF the employees in Indy spoke ENGLISH! I have been to five different RS stores in Indy and every one of them they speak SPANISH and have no clue what your talking about. If I need something I go in and don't speak to them at all, just get what I need pay and leave, these people couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag let alone find anything in the store except CELL PHONES!
That reminds me, I hate that every time I go to RS they try to shove a cell phone down my throat, even though they clearly see I already have TWO of them....one Verizon and a NEXTEL 2 way....

HAHAHAHA!!!! thats the good old rat shack for ya !!!! i tell ya any more i try to do my business on line unless i can find it my self like you do you go to walmart you got some one standing out side tring to sell you somthing you go to kmart you got some one asking you to donate somthing you go any were its always somthing its a mess lol

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
yeah i seriously doubt they would take off their only digital scanners before putting out a new model..

Status
Not open for further replies.