Radisson, Quebec bound this summer. Any good Freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepBlue

Are there any good frequencies a US Extra class Amateur should have in his radios for a trip from Ohio to Radisson, Quebec, Canada this summer? I am planning to operate some 1296 EME from there for a few days with some native Canadians who are traveling to the area. Any back country frequencies on VHF, UHF, HF that are used in the area? I hope to make a few skeds with a few friends in Ohio during the trip. Heading up the James Bay Road from Matagami. I hope to visit the local FM radio station while there. I was a broadcaster for many long years.

Thanks for any input,
Sean
KB8JNE
EN80lb

N4KVE

Hope you’re bilingual. Locals mostly speak French only there. In Montreal you will find some English speakers, but in the sticks, it’s French only.

Synchro39

Premium Subscriber
Hope you’re bilingual. Locals mostly speak French only there. In Montreal you will find some English speakers, but in the sticks, it’s French only.

it's not true here in Montreal French people are minority and all across Quebec you can be serve in English don't forget French people are minority here now this language will be lost in the near future all the new generation are bilingual

DeepBlue

I have always heard that as long as you try French, most of the folks will take some pity on you and help in English if they can. Mostly just staying at the hotel a few nights, the rest of the time is with my grandson and on the air so I don't expect too much of an issue with the languages. Also, as long as the town has WiFi or Cell service, Google Translate should get me through the tougher conversations like, "yes thank you, I will have fries with my burger".

I was mostly wondering if there was a common frequency(ies) monitored like say CH 9/19 CB or 146.520 or even like the Alaska Emergency Freq on HF?

Standing by.
S.
KB8JNE

DeepBlue

My trip is getting closer and I was wondering if there is anything new to listen to along the James Bay road to Radisson? Headed up late June, early July. How are the flies and mosquitoes about then? Bear?

Sean
KB8JNE

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I would suggest having the LADD channels in.

Friends of mine used to operate the CQ WWDX contest from James Bay many years ago. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as they did.

As for Montreal, I was there last week and didn't find anyone who couldn't speak English.

mmisk

Will you be traveling near the Ottawa area?

My wife is French Canadian, you can take her with you as an interpreter.:LOL:.

Mike VE3HRT

DeepBlue

Hello all (bonjour?)
French is still not my language. I have so far encountered only one French roadblock in the travel plans in that the James Bay area tourism folks have outgoing messages only en Francais.

Anyway, last chances before I drive north. Any special "bush" frequencies anyone can think of for Northern Canada I might want to monitor? Here in the US I might monitor the 2m, 440 calling frequencies as well as air emergency frequencies etc. I know Alaska has their emergency freq but as of yet I have found nothing common to listen to on the drive to Radisson, Quebec. Any air emergency, Air Taxi/Shuttle freq for the trapping and hunting bases up that way? Any local authorities in the areas as far as Matagami on VHF or UHF perhaps? Sea planes, military transport, scientific research camps, fishing and hunting camps, all are fair game, if only I knew where to look for such frequencies.

I am taking a Dual band mobile, Kenwood TS-2000X for night time HF and my EME at 1296. I will be using a Yaesu VX-8 for APRS as far as Matagami I hope and possibly for spacecraft and shuttle APRS via digipeater for some possible position reporting. I hope to be on 40m or 80m skeds with some of the folks back home the few nights I am up there. I have a US banded CB and will leave that on CH19 unless the truckers up that way use something else? Anything else? I know it's probably overkill to take anything else as I will be listening to music and books on tape too off and on, and enjoying thew quiet of nature too.

Sean
KB8JNE

Status
Not open for further replies.