Rain Resistant Speaker Mic Cover?

Hi guys,

I have a customer that saw someone using a radio in the rain and they had some sort of rain resistant cover on their speaker mic. My customer has problems with the water getting in the hole in the mic and preventing sound from getting to the mic cartridge. Has anyone seen an accessory like this and/or know where something like this could be found?

A sandwich bag will work as well as anything but Amazon has tons of
UV5R waterproof pouches and similar

Sorry to be negative, but I doubt my customer is going to want to put a sandwich bag over the mic on their $3000 radio.

EFJ VP900, EFJ ES, EFJ VP5000, Moto XTS5000

The waterproof mics don't shed water well and water will fill the holes and block the audio from getting through to the mic cartridge.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
How about covering it with a little disc with a tiny bit of adhesive and use a headset with a microphone?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to be negative, but I doubt my customer is going to want to put a sandwich bag over the mic on their $3000 radio.
I always gave my customers options and let them decide if a 2cent solution for their high dollar radio had merit.

Mike

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone here has read the original post, or even cares. I'm glad you all want to help, but the question is whether or not anyone knows where to find a commercially available cover for this purpose. My customer saw another person that had such a device that was made specifically for this purpose. They'd like to buy that. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one, so I was asking if anyone else has seen them somewhere. I'm not looking for a bunch of possible solutions to the problem. I'm looking for an existing product on the market that is for this issue. I can come up with plenty of cheap ideas on my own. My customer wants to buy something professional to solve their issue. They came to us and said "we want to buy what we saw," not "we have this problem and we're looking for whatever solution you can come up with."

krokus

Premium Subscriber
EFJ VP900, EFJ ES, EFJ VP5000, Moto XTS5000

The waterproof mics don't shed water well and water will fill the holes and block the audio from getting through to the mic cartridge.
The public safety mics from Motorola shed water well, as long as they are right-side up. But it sounds like your customer has a certain thing in mind, which is not a common product.

Sent using Tapatalk

Exactly. I'm beating my head against the wall trying to find a product they saw somewhere. I was hoping someone on here would say "oh yeah, we use those, check so and so..."

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Exactly. I'm beating my head against the wall trying to find a product they saw somewhere. I was hoping someone on here would say "oh yeah, we use those, check so and so..."

Have you tried asking the manufacture/dealer that supplied the radio?

I work for the dealer. That's why the customer came to us. Unfortunately, the manufacturer and all of our after market accessory suppliers have nothing like this.