• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emd001

Hey all. So ive been googling for a couple of days and really havent been able to find what im looking for. So im newly HAM licensed, and its time to start putting my equipment into my truck. I already have two nmo scanner antennas for the scanners im going to move from my desk to my truck. Its a 2003 dodge ram 1500 single cab, im wanting to install a total of 4 nmo antennas (2 scanner, a dual band 2m/70cm, and a 10m). So the question i have is me and a buddy want to do this in a weekend, but we have no idea what were doing. Im figuring its gonna go like this:

1. take headliner out of truck
2. drill holes
3. mount the mounts and make sure they are sealed
4. arrange all the coax to the box im building
5. replace headliner
6. put antennas on mounts and hook coax into radios/scanners

have i missed any steps? also does anyone have any advice in undertaking a project like this? Im sure i can get assistance from the local ham club as i just joined and they seemed really friendly, just wanting so opnions from they guys that do the awesome installs they show off here. thanks for taking the time to read this and all input is greatly appreciated.

-Eric
(waiting on call sign)

AllenKelly

Sounds Great

It sounds like you are well on your way, I had an 04 Ram and had 9 radios in it, it was a great truck and a great mobile shack... I took out the center console and replaced it with a beautifuly created home made console that the mounts matched up perfectly to the center console mounts... I really loved that truck. As for the antennas you don't need to completely remove the head liner just get it down far enough that you don't drill it by mistake... and if you use the right hole saw or step bit the NMO will seal the hole perfectly with no additional work... I hope everything works out for you, installing the equipment and getting it just right, just the way you want it, in a mobile shack, is the second best part of our hobby... first place of course going to monitoring the communications comming from our perfectly installed mobile shack.

Happy motoring....

Last edited:

kd6lvp

Dodge Ram install

I installed 5 NMO mounts.

- GPS Antenna
- 2meter/440 Ham antenna
- 6 Meter Ham
- 800 Mhz Public Safety
- 900 Mhz Ham/ATCS

I ran the GPS antenna down drivers/windshield post and then split the rest down the Drivers/Passenger side post (Quad cab).

Don't know what you had in mind for mounting radios/scanners etc... but I would suggest surfing Ebay and looking for XM/IPOD mounts for your truck. I got 2 mounts that mount in 2 different places that I mount my FT-8900 control head and my MCS2000 controlhead. Also got a CB mount to mount my Siren/Light controller and my 900 Mhz ham radio.

http://www.satelliteradioserver.com/bracket_finder/index_xm.php
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CB_MOUNT_0305W

I did get a Dodge Ram CB Antenna mount that mounts to the hood, but I couldn't find a real nice place to mount it level. I think it works better with the older Dodges than my 04.

However I now find my self wishing that I installed at least 2 more. But of course I have no idea where I would install the radios...Also with my antenna pattern I have no idea how and where I would add them.

Just make sure you plan everything out and not rush yourself. I had a friend rush and he broke a part on my truck. Just make sure you take your time and you'll be happy.

While you have the headliner down you may want to install some installation to help with heat and coolness.

I'll try to get some pictures taken and post them somewhere.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.