Ramsey Electronics aircraft band receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestsw

Hi

Does anyone have the Ramsey passive band aircraft monitor/ receiver ? If so, what is Your opinion ?
I have been tempted to purchase one in kit form, but price has been prohibitive, seems a bit high, and
have read the same opinion on the web. But now I see they are selling factory assembled versions for
not much more money., sounds as though Ramsey is discontinuing them. Kind of intrigued as I would think traffic would be fairly constant since it covers the entire band at once. Headphones apparently serve for the antenna, but would think a dedicated airband antenna should really pull things in. My scanner does a great job, but being the radio junkie I am...I'm thinking I gotta have one.

midwestsw

Hi,
P.S., I forgot I had looked this up on RadioReference some time in the past but looked it up again a little while ago. The latest post has been a few years ago . the info seemed a bit sketchy as to how well it would do if not close to an airport, hence my dedicated antenna thoughts.... I apologize for the re-visit of the subject.

jimvm

Ramsey AC rcvr

If you plan to use this receiver on a commercial aircraft, there is no local oscillator to interfere with communications. Be ready to here Acars data bursts.

duprek

I have a few of the portable versions (factory assembled and kitform).
I think they're incredible and great for unfocused listening - they fit my expectation perfectly.

i've really only tried with the headphone jack antenna. reception is a mixed bag, as expected.

listening at the same time as monitoring with a conventional handlheld (a 72/125/246 at various times) - it picks up most frequencies.
it hears signal the handhelds do not, and also seems to miss some frequencies that are being monitored on a handheld.

listening to two ABM1's at the same time (one a factory assembled and one a kitform) - they mostly picked up the same, but not exactly.
i attribute some of this to my novice electronic assembly skill.
I peeked inside and the factory built did look to have additional RF shielding vs the kit version.

at an airport, on the ground - not so great, to me.
too much signal.

as jimvm mentions - expect to hear ACARS.
ive probably enjoyed continuous listening via one of these the most when I was furthest away from an airport!

On an aircraft - it was ok.
i thought i'd hear more much than i did though. i have only tried it midflight a few occasions though.

i like the units myself.

i had given away my original factory assembled to another enthusiast, prior to ramsey closing shop.
when recent availability occured, and at a lower price ~ i purchased two more. :)
being a radio junkie - i think you'd enjoy it, but it is a bit of a novelty.

midwestsw

Ramsey

Thanks for taking the time for the information. I 'm still intrigued with the air band antenna
concept. I've a few radios that have the capability, but still NOT enough !!!

nycrich

I used one in the early 2000 and reception was great inside the aircraft and also being able to follow frequency changes. At that high altitude you will only hear ACARS from that aircraft.
However when you go through the TSA security and you check in the unit, the system they use will zap the IC and make the unit useless.

majoco

Stirrer
Why is that?

Because you are sitting inside a nice screening can which stops anybody else's transmission getting in - but the aircraft's own transmissions are generated inside the can and there's bound to be some leakage.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Because you are sitting inside a nice screening can which stops anybody else's transmission getting in - but the aircraft's own transmissions are generated inside the can and there's bound to be some leakage.

I wasn't aware the OP was plan on using it on-board the plane.

majoco

Stirrer
I know that. In post #8 iMonitor asked why is it that at altitude you will only hear the ACARS from the aircraft. I answered in post #11. Absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.