• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Random antenna questions (mobile/vehicle mounts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
If looking at GPS, Cellular and VHF/UHF, you might consider a Panorama Sharkee. I’d have to check the catalog at home but I’m pretty sure they have a half-wave VHF antenna option.

Another second for the Larsen NMO27, I’ve got one on my XJ (except I run the black whips not the stainless) and don’t have any issues with them. Larsen currently uses a plastic like coating on the whips for to keep the color from chipping off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For hobby use, no reason to spend $300 on an SWR meter. Analog or digital, doesn't matter, it's all RF to the meter.

Diamond makes some that will cover both VHF, UHF and HF (CB) for around $100.00

Iceking007

If looking at GPS, Cellular and VHF/UHF, you might consider a Panorama Sharkee. I’d have to check the catalog at home but I’m pretty sure they have a half-wave VHF antenna option.

Another second for the Larsen NMO27, I’ve got one on my XJ (except I run the black whips not the stainless) and don’t have any issues with them. Larsen currently uses a plastic like coating on the whips for to keep the color from chipping off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure at all what a panorama sharkee is but please give me an update and more information if they do.

Also I thought it was an NMO150 not NMO27. Perhaps you miss typed? Which whips are you running? I would think a rubber would be better than a plastic, seems a plastic would get brittle and break in the cold with a jarring hit?!

Again very helpful, I appreciate the options and choices.

Thank you I will look at their SWR meters, I did find the MFJ 874 Grandmaster meter yesterday but mixed reviews on build quality and accuracy.

Iceking007

Okay so I went through a long list of products a Canadian distributor had that did both HF and VHF (also UHF is included) and came out with three that were under $300CAD.

- MFJ 874 $162
- MFJ 849 $220
- Diamond SX600 $296

The MFJ-849 and the NMO-150-HW base (coil only) are backordered and not in stock, so that's not a huge concern on product availability if I don't have an antenna to use it with if I get the meter right away.

I also found the Laird B1442N but that too is backordered.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Not sure at all what a panorama sharkee is but please give me an update and more information if they do.

Also I thought it was an NMO150 not NMO27. Perhaps you miss typed? Which whips are you running? I would think a rubber would be better than a plastic, seems a plastic would get brittle and break in the cold with a jarring hit?!

Again very helpful, I appreciate the options and choices.

Thank you I will look at their SWR meters, I did find the MFJ 874 Grandmaster meter yesterday but mixed reviews on build quality and accuracy.

It's a shark fin antenna with a LTE, WiFi, and GPS antenna built into the housing. It also has a whip option for a traditional LMR antenna. If memory serves correctly they are ~$350 USD without the LMR antenna option (plus ~$60 typically). They use a standard 3/4" hole for mounting. I've got a tri-band VHF/UHF/7/800 MHz antenna on the one on my pickup (POV) and the nitol VHF whip option if I need it. Don't see a half-wave option in the book but they do have traditional 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave designs.

Iceking007

Oh good to know, thank you for that.

The in dash unit I am purchasing already comes with a GPS antenna but I am not so sure of the quality. I might look elsewhere for one to patch in.

I am going with the Surecall fusion2go 3.0 mobile cellular telephone antenna. Those who both be surface mounted on the roof and shouldn't be impacted by roof mounted loads (since they have a smaller footprint/heigh)

Any opinions on those SWR meters?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Larsen NMO-27 for CB use:
Chrome Whip - https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo27c-699
Black Whip - https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo27b-6439
Black Spring, Black Whip - https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo27bs-8342

Laird, chrome with spring: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-c27s-691
Laird, black with spring: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-cb27s-5585

Larsen Half Wave for VHF use, this is the complete antenna, NMO150HW coil and whip:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmowb150b-739

Laird Half Wave for VHF:
No spring - https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-b1442n-752
With spring - https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-b1442ns-7116

Larsen GPS antenna:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-gpsnmo02-3320

Laird GPS antenna:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-gpsu15m-3321

Laird Cellular antenna:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-tra6927m3nb-6167

All of these antennas will need an NMO mount base.
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmotmb-1175
That includes the NMO mount, a bracket and you can have the connector of your choice installed.
You want to use the "HF" style mounts as the base is enclosed. The standard NMO mounts are designed for through-hole mounting on the vehicle roof and do not have any protection on the underside. That would be an issue on your proposed bracket mounts as it would expose the coax shield and center conductor to rain, snow, road salts, etc. which would result in it failing pretty quickly.
If you do not have the tools or experience for installing your own connectors, have them put them on for you. It can save a lot of headaches. Don't use adapters if you can avoid it, get the correct connector to fit the radio.

I'd still look at mounting the cellular and GPS antenna through the vehicle roof. That'll make it easier to get the cable inside. In fact, I'd also suggest taking a close look at mounting all the antennas that way. The bracket mounts will work, but getting the coaxial cable into the vehicle safely can be a challenge. You don't want coax getting pinched in doors or windows.

Done correctly this could be a pretty nice setup. Taking the time to do the antenna mounts right. Also, don't overlook power for all this stuff. Don't rely on cigarette lighter power. If you are going to be running a CB, VHF mobile, and a cellular BDA, run a dedicated power feed direct from the battery. Clean power, and lots of it, will be key. Tapping into existing electrical systems is a great way to get all kind of computer, ignition and other odd noises into your radios.

As for the SWR meter...
If you have no plans to run UHF, you could do one of these:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/diamond-sx20c-4833

Or, find someone local that has one, or a local radio shop, and have them do it for you. An SWR meter is handy to have, though.

As for exchange rates, maybe a visit south of the border would be a good plan, but not saying you should sneak it all back across….

Iceking007

Thank you for all of the information mmckenna. I already have a plan for routing the cables up to the roof and will be doing LOTS of electrical circuit construction, no worry there.

The GPS & 3G/4G antennas will be solid mounted to the roof permanently.

I have decided to go with two Daiwa SWR meters. I called the Canadian shop I was browsing in and he recommended that brand over the others that they carry, including Diamond. Although I'm sure they are all relatively close in function and accuracy it is nice to have someone give you direct feedback (although I also highly appreciate yours).

So I believe all this planning can be put to rest.

Thank you everyone for all of the help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Daiwa's are pretty good meters. I had one I borrowed for a while, and it worked well. I think you made a good choice.

Would love to see some photos of your completed installation.

Gmork

I used a PCTEL MLPV340 (430-480) phantom antenna on a Dodge Durango for about 3 years till the lease was up & had to turn the truck in. The antenna worked excellent in an urban environment & did great when it came to parking in a garage. I drilled the roof to mount it with an NMO mount & side note the dealer could have cared less about the hole drilled.

n1nte

For the FJ Cruiser, there is a mount called a Bandi mount and this allows for an additional mounting location on the rear door hinge. The standard Bandi mount is for a standard 3/8" x 24 threaded base for Firestik style antennas. If you look around you can find one with a 3/4" hole for an NMO mount. It isn't a perfect location but it performs fairly well despite being located partially below the body. I have a Larsen 2M NMO antenna mounted on my FJ and it is somewhat directional but works for the majority of my needs.

FJ Cruiser Bandi CB Mount [8900-AP-CB-A] - $39.00 : Pure FJ Cruiser Accessories, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser

Iceking007

I can submit photos once I have things all finalized... that will be a few months lol.

I have seen the "Bandi" mounts, they are about as popular as Jeeps :D. I'm not really a fan, I'd rather have them on the roof.

I was going to go with the GPS antenna that came with my equipment, but it's a cheap window stick-on design so I am looking for an upgrade.

Any recommendations for that? Is the little round police ones good? A shark fin? (I like the shark fin). It would have to be "tuned" or designed for best: remote, off-road, outdoors/ bush use. Roof mounted, something that's going to be rugged and an exceptional performer.

Thank you - continually.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I linked to a GPS antenna in my post above. You can often find them used or NOS on eBay for $10 or so.
They are low enough on the roof that they won't have issues with tree branches.

AS for the Bandi mounts, I've seen a few of those. They won't provide a useful ground plane for a CB antenna. You can "make" them work, but the location is not going to work as well as an antenna mounted on top of the vehicle.

Iceking007

Sorry mmckenna, you did post that; I forgot about it.

I will look into those selections as well.

Thank you.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I just did a long trip out through Arizona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Utah, Nevada, etc...
Saw a few FJ's on the road and tried to take a closer look at them. Didn't realize the roof rack was that large on them. I can see where wanting to retain the functionality of the roof rack and not block it with antennas is a challenge.

Saw a few of the CB antennas mounted off the spare tire rack. I think that -could- work, but ground plane/grounding might be a challenge. I still think the Larsen NMO-27 is your best shot.

The nice thing about the roof rack is that the rails were pretty big, so that might make mounting the antenna brackets easier.

Near the front of the roof, looks like there was plenty of room for mounting the GPS and cellular antennas. Might even be able to fit the VHF up there.

Iceking007

Yes, a good amount of usable space, lots of owners opt for different more functional or lower profile racks but I like the stock one so I plan to stick with that for now.

I think I will stick with the current plan unless you think of something better. The half wave NMO spring in the back left corner, CB front right near the AM/FM, GPS front center and then cellular rear center.

Of course once I get everything and start piecing things together I can tweak its position.

The fiberglass looks nice but like you said they are fragile and not conducive to off-roading. Plus I find it's just dumb having an antenna lower than you can, line of sight doesn't work so well from a trench, better from a tower.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Consider your mounting locations carefully. Keep in mind that when you get into higher frequencies, coaxial cable loss becomes more pronounced.
CB, at 27MHz, will suffer from less loss than the cellular or VHF will. Putting your CB antenna at the farthest located mount and keeping the higher loss stuff closer can be a good approach.

GPS isn't much of an issue since the antennas have a built in amplifier in the base that's powered via the coaxial cable from the receiver.

That's one of the benefits of remote head radios. Putting the RF decks closer to the antenna mounts can save cable loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.