• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Rare catch of Berkeley Heights township VHF low

While monitoring some weak lowband on 1/18 19:30, I hear Berkeley Heights in Union county NJ conducting a duty tone test for the rescue squad. Now what a treat to hear some old school VHF low during January! Knowing the test would end with an ID, I was anxiously awaiting for that ID. After a search I find the ID was UHF during the earlier years of this current decade and is currently expired.

(0:36)
Signals received in North Carolina (EM95).

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
You guys just made me turn on my low band scanner, I forget it so much. I have a BCT 15 hooked to a 6 meter ringo antenna and has always worked great. Now its on and will stay for a few weeks.

Best QSO I ever had was while working for the Highway Patrol. I was in Chattanooga and talked with Car 211, a California Highway Patrol Officer who was making traffic stops and setting on the Golden Gate Bridge!

At the time both our agencies shared a VHF Low frequency in the 40 MHz range.